About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Spelling and Punctuation - Chapter Summary
If your student will soon be taking the HSPT test in anticipation of attending his or her preferred Catholic high school, this chapter's text and video lessons can help with building the necessary spelling and punctuation skills. The online lessons explain why capitalization is important and the rules for using correct punctuation in sentences. The chapter includes tips for editing sentences and paragraphs. Once all of the lessons have been studied, your student should be able to:
- Understand strategies for passing multiple-choice spelling tests
- Distinguish between homophones and homonyms
- Identify word prefixes and suffixes
- Correctly use semi-colons, periods, quotation marks, colons, hyphens, brackets, ellipses, exclamation marks, apostrophes, parentheses and dashes
- Understand the correct placement of commas for separating independent clauses
- Capitalize proper nouns, the first words in sentences and titles
- Edit out mechanical errors in spelling
Your child could benefit from exploring these short, teacher-led text and video lessons on spelling and punctuation before taking the HSPT test. With just one click, a student can play, stop and restart these online lessons, which are accessible via a computer or mobile device. Relevant questions can be submitted to the experts through the ask-a-question function on the Dashboard. The self-assessment quizzes also test your student's level of preparation for spelling and punctuation test questions.
HSPT Test: Spelling and Punctuation Chapter Objectives
Five sections make up the HSPT test: Verbal, Quantitative, Reading, Mathematics and Language Skills. It has 298 questions in all, and students must observe a two-and-a-half-hour time limit. The questions on the Language Skills category most closely reflect the lessons in this chapter. Consisting of 60 multiple-choice questions, the section will evaluate your eighth-grade student's comprehension of punctuation, capitalization, spelling and comprehension. Questions in the Language Skills category must be completed within a 25-minute time frame.
1. Spelling Strategies for Multiple-Choice Spelling Tests
Do not let spelling tests be the bane of your existence--learn to take a spelling test with confidence! This lesson discusses spelling strategies and applies them to multiple-choice tests.
2. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
3. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
4. What is Punctuation? - Rules & Signs
In this lesson, we'll find out what punctuation is. We'll then learn some rules for using the most common punctuation marks as well as review sample sentences utilizing the punctuation rules.
5. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
6. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
7. Exclamation Mark: Use & Meaning
The exclamation mark (!), also called the exclamation point, is a form of punctuation that is sometimes used at the end of a single word, phrase or complete sentence. Its goal is to express an extremely strong and intense statement.
8. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
9. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
10. Apostrophe: Use & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.
11. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
12. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
13. Editing for Mechanics: Definition & Concept
Find out what 'editing for mechanics' means and how to apply it to your writing. Learn what to look for when you're editing for mechanics, and then take a quiz to test your new skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards