About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence - Chapter Summary
Explore several basic classifications you need to know in order to describe lines and shapes in geometric terms. In these engaging video lessons, our instructors will take you through the following topics that you could encounter on the HSPT test:
- Parallel lines
- Perpendicular lines
Watch each video as many times as necessary to get the information you need. Read the written lesson transcript to increase your comprehension of the material. You can also use the interactive video timeline feature to search for a specific topic in the video to review. Use the lesson quizzes and practice exams to prepare for test day.
HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence Chapter Objectives
The HSPT is divided into 5 sections and includes a total of 298 multiple-choice questions. This chapter is intended to help prepare you for the mathematics portion of the test which consists of 64 questions and is timed at 45 minutes.
1. What is a Line of Symmetry in Geometric Shapes?
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to identify shapes that have a line of symmetry in them and know how to find where this line is. A short quiz to test your knowledge will follow the lesson.
2. Congruence in Geometric Shapes
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can determine whether two shapes are congruent or not. You will learn what the one criterion is when determining congruency between two shapes.
3. Similarity in Geometric Shapes
View this lesson to learn how you can determine whether shapes are similar. Find out how to use the one rule that tells you when your two shapes are geometrically similar.
4. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Identifying Parallel Lines in Geometric Shapes
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can spot parallel lines in a rectangle, in a square, and in a parallelogram. You will learn how many pairs of parallel lines each of these shapes has.
6. Constructing Perpendicular Lines in Geometry
In this video lesson, you will see how to use geometric construction to draw perpendicular lines. Learn why geometric construction is useful. Also find out the only two tools in addition to your pencil that you need to do this.
7. Identifying Perpendicular Lines in Geometric Shapes
Do you know what a perpendicular line is? Do you know how to spot one in a geometric shape? This lesson will tell you how to spot perpendicular lines in squares, rectangles, triangles, and trapezoids.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards