About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations - Chapter Summary
This chapter could help your student review how to work with systems of linear equations and earn higher scores on the HSPT test. The lessons explain how to build a system of equations, use the substitution method, combine equations and use the elimination technique. Once the chapter's completed, your student might be able to:
- Define, identify and use a system of equations
- Use substitution to solve a system of equations
- Work with linear equations that have two or three variables
- Solve linear equations that have solutions, no solutions or infinite solutions
Help your student prepare for the HSPT test by letting him or her watch these tutorial videos on systems of linear equations. The videos are animated, and they can be paused and restarted instantly. Professional educators narrate the videos and provide the mathematics content. Text transcripts and worksheets contribute to the overall experience. Assessment quizzes will measure your student's grasp of systems of linear equations.
HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations Chapter Objectives
With 298 questions that are divided into Verbal, Quantitative, Reading, Mathematics and Language Skills categories, the HSPT test is designed to evaluate your student in multiple areas. Its overall time limit is 2.5 hours, although each of the five sections has its own required time for completion. The Mathematics section may assess what your student has learned about systems of linear equations. It will also determine what he or she understands about the fundamentals of algebra, arithmetic and geometry. Your student will be allowed 45 minutes to answer the 64 multiple-choice questions in the Mathematics category.
1. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
2. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
3. How to Solve a System of Linear Equations in Two Variables
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve a system of linear equations in two variables by using the substitution method. Learn how easy it is to use on any linear system in two variables.
4. How to Solve a Linear System in Three Variables With a Solution
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve a linear system in three variables using the elimination method. Learn the simple operations that are needed to solve your system.
5. How to Solve a Linear System in Three Variables With No or Infinite Solutions
In this video lesson, you will learn to recognize when a linear system has no solution or an infinite number of solutions. You will also learn how to go about solving each of these types of systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards