About This Chapter
HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem - Chapter Summary
Before taking the HSPT test, your student can use this chapter's informative text and video lessons to learn about the fundamentals of the Pythagorean theorem. In one lesson, the purpose of the Pythagorean theorem is explored while another lesson looks at the relationship between the theorem and the law of cosines. After reviewing different formulas and working through some of the examples, your student could be able to:
- Apply the Pythagorean theorem
- Use the converse of the Pythagorean theorem
- Calculate the hypotenuse of a right triangle
- Find shorter sides with the Pythagorean theorem
- Solve functional problems using the theorem
All of the lessons were developed by qualified educators. It's possible to jump from topic to topic by clicking on the timeline link and selecting any of the videos' main topics. Multiple-choice quizzes follow the presentations, and they test students' retention of this chapter's facts. A practice chapter examination is also included.
HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem Chapter Objectives
Comprised of five sections and 298 multiple-choice questions, the HSPT test has a time limit of two and a half hours. The Verbal, Quantitative, Reading, Mathematics and Language Skills categories all have questions that evaluate your eight-grade student's readiness for a Catholic high school curriculum. The Mathematics section may gauge your student's knowledge of the Pythagorean theorem as well as his or her general understanding of arithmetic, mathematics concepts, geometry and algebra. The section contains 64 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 45 minutes. Students aren't penalized for wrong answers. Instead, a point is added to scores for each correct answer.
1. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
2. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
3. How to Find the Hypotenuse of a Right Triangle Using the Pythagorean Theorem
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the Pythagorean Theorem and its resultant formula to help you find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle when you know the measurements of the triangle's two other sides.
4. How to Find Shorter Sides on a Right Triangle Using the Pythagorean Theorem
Sure, the Pythagorean Theorem is useful for finding the hypotenuse of a right triangle, but what about the other sides? As this lesson shows, it's just a matter of flipping the formula.
5. How to Solve Functional Problems Involving the Pythagorean Theorem
One of the most useful aspects of studying triangles is the Pythagorean Theorem. In this lesson, we use it to find the unknown length of a side of a triangle, whether it is a shorter side or the hypotenuse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards