About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Transformations - Chapter Summary
Let these lessons illustrate various math transformations as you explore how shapes change or do not change when they are rotated, reflected or translated. The videos help you study for HSPT test questions on the following topics:
- Rotations, reflections and translations in math
- Using a mirror line to reflect simple shapes
- 2D shapes
- Lines of symmetry
- Graphing translations, rotations and reflections
- Rotating shapes
- Determining distance with the Pythagorean theorem
After you complete each lesson, you can check your understanding of what you have studied by taking a short lesson quiz. You can measure your progress overall by taking the chapter test. Links in the quizzes give you easy access to the video to check a specific point, and our expert instructors and subject-matter experts are always available to answer your questions or provide additional help.
HSPT Test: Transformations Chapter Objectives
Select Catholic schools require eighth grade students to take the HSPT test as part of the admissions process. The skills measured by the exam include reading, verbal, language, quantitative and mathematics. Our chapter on Transformations addresses some of the mathematics skills covered in the test. You will find 64 math-related questions on the exam.
The HSPT examination is paper based. All of the 298 questions that comprise the exam are multiple-choice in format, which requires you to select one correct response from a list of about four following each question.
1. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
2. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
3. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
4. Reflecting Simple Shapes in a Mirror Line
What is reflection? How can we reflect a shape over a line? You will learn about this as well as about the important properties of reflection as it relates to math!
5. What are 2D Shapes? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will find out how a flat piece of paper will help you determine what shapes are considered 2D. You will also learn the wide variety of 2D shapes you may encounter in life.
6. Identifying the Line of Symmetry: Definition & Examples
Symmetry can occur in many different ways in mathematics. In this lesson, learn how to identify unique forms of symmetry by finding the line of symmetry.
7. Graphing Translations & Finding a Set of Coordinates
In this lesson, you're going to learn how to translate figures by counting boxes, find the coordinates of points, and learn how to translate a figure more quickly using simple math.
8. Rotating Shapes by Degrees, Center & Direction
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the definition and basic concept of rotation as well as how to rotate any shape about the origin in a coordinate plane. Finish up the lesson, then test your understanding with a quiz!
9. How to Graph Reflections Across Axes, the Origin, and Line y=x
A graph can be reflected in three ways - across the axes, the origin and the line y = x. There are specific rules to perform each reflection. This lesson will describe those rules and show you how to perform these reflections.
10. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
11. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
How much faster is it to cut the corners in a race around the block? In this lesson, review the Pythagorean Theorem, and figure out how to solve without a right triangle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards