About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers - Chapter Summary
Your eighth-grade student can qualify for Catholic high school admission and certain scholarships based upon his or her performance on the HSPT test. This chapter on real numbers is designed to increase your students' comprehension so that it'll be possible to ace questions on the mathematics portion of the test. Accessible online, it includes text and video lessons that teach procedures for finding and plotting whole numbers, drawing a number line and identifying points on a number line. Your student can gradually discover the differences between rational and irrational numbers, and learn to recognize counting numbers. After working through this chapter, your student might be able to:
- Identify different forms of numbers
- Understand the properties of real numbers
- Describe the parts of a number line and use it to compare whole numbers, decimals and fractions
- Give examples of counting numbers
Our teachers guide your student in understanding real numbers. Animated and fun, the chapter's online text and video lessons can complement your student's classroom mathematics education. Complete with graphics, navigational video tags and written transcripts, they can be watched 24/7 on a mobile device or a wired desktop computer. Allow your child to take the self-assessment quizzes more than once if necessary as the material is mastered. The correct quiz results can be printed out for further study.
HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers Chapter Objectives
The 2.5-hour-long HSPT test is made up of five sections, and it has 298 multiple-choice questions overall. Comprised of 64 multiple-choice questions, the Mathematics section tests your student's ability to solve problems and evaluate his or her knowledge of basic arithmetic and geometry. Questions on real numbers will also be included on this section of the test, which has a 45-minute time limit. The test doesn't have a passing or failing score, but Catholic high schools set their own satisfactory scores for incoming students.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. What are Real Numbers? - Definition & Properties
There are many definitions of real numbers, but they all lead to the same conclusion. Real numbers are numbers that have a measurable value. Learn more about real numbers with some examples and a quiz to test your knowledge.
3. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
4. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
5. Counting Numbers: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, discover the counting numbers (also called natural numbers and positive integers). Explore the many everyday ways we use counting numbers in our lives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards