About This Chapter
Human Body Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Use these lesson plans and other related materials help you create your syllabus and design interesting, informative and comprehensive lessons on the systems of the human body. You will find plans that will help you teach your students about the structures and functions of the immune, digestive and respiratory systems, the five senses, the nervous and circulatory systems and other related material. These outlines and accompanying lessons will assist you in building lesson plans on:
- The immune system as the body's defense
- Functions of the five senses
- Upper and lower digestive tracts and the digestive system as a whole
- Nervous, circulatory and respiratory systems, structures and functions
- Games and activities on the human body for kids
- Definition and examples of homeostasis, and more!
How It Helps
- Common core: Helps to ensure that your Human Body lessons conform to education standards
- Classroom discussion questions/topics: Provides questions and topics that you can introduce into your science and human body classes that will encourage student participation and spark interest
- Homework and classwork assignments: Offers suggestions and ideas for in-class and at-home student assignments on the structure and function of human body systems
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning human body lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific topics related to the systems of the body that you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your anatomy class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related human anatomy lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important concepts in the human body lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant activities related to the study of the human body, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Human Body Games for Kids
There are a lot of body parts to learn, and the functions of some of them are complex. Help your students learn what they need to know by trying out a few of these human body games.
2. Muscular System Lesson Plan
Teach your students about the muscular system with help from this lesson plan. Students will learn about muscle anatomy, the organization of muscles, and how they work together, then get concepts to stick with a fun game.
3. What Is the Muscular System? - Function & How Muscles Work in Groups
Ever feel overwhelmed when you look at all those muscles in your textbooks? Well, if you do, then maybe learning a little about their anatomy and organization and how they work together will help you sort through it all. In this lesson, learn about the muscle itself and how it works with others to help the muscular system function.
4. Medical Terminology Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students how medical terms are formed. Students will learn about root words, prefixes and suffixes that make up medical terminology with the help of two video lessons, then compare eponyms and descriptive terms.
5. How Medical Terms are Formed
In this lesson, we'll focus on how medical terms are formed and practice forming them. You will become familiar with how to build medical terms to describe parts of the body, procedures, and bodily processes.
6. Types of Medical Terms: Eponyms vs. Descriptive Terms
We will explore the two main ways in which medical terms are designed in this lesson. Learning how medical terms got their names will help with understanding terms as you are learning medical terminology. We will look at some examples of both eponyms and descriptive terms.
7. Endocrine System Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students about the endocrine system. Students will watch our video lesson that explains the job of hormones and the endocrine system before they apply their newfound knowledge to a fun activity.
8. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
9. Enzyme Function, Interactions & Regulation Activities for High School
Helping students understand what enzymes are and how they work is an important part of high school biology instruction. This lesson offers activities that will teach students more about enzyme function, interactions, and regulation.
10. Lymphatic System Lesson Plan
Teach your students about the lymphatic system with this lesson plan. Students will watch a video lesson that details the structure and function of the lymphatic system and defines domain-specific vocabulary, then apply learning to an activity.
11. What is the Lymphatic System? - Structures, Function & Vocabulary
Your lymphatic system is an important part of your body's defense team. Learn about structures of the lymphatic system, such as the lymphatic vessels, spleen, thymus gland, tonsils and Peyer's patches, and the roles they play in keeping you healthy.
12. Urinary System Lesson Plan
Are you teaching the urinary system in your physiology class? This lesson plan uses a short video, class discussions, small group work, and the creation of a system model to help students understand the structures and function of the urinary system.
13. Gross Anatomy of the Urinary System
Our body must detoxify and cleanse itself to thrive. That is why we depend so heavily on our liver and urinary system. In this lesson, we'll explore how toxins are filtered by our organs and how urine is formed and expelled with the nephron, bladder, ureters, and urethra.
14. Organ System Lesson Plan
Learning about all of the organ systems in the body can be overwhelming. This lesson gives students an introduction to each organ system, and then allows them to creatively learn about a specific system of their choosing in more detail by creating a social media poster.
15. What Is an Organ System? - Definition & Pictures
In this lesson, you will learn what an organ system is, and you will review each organ system in the human body. This will aid in your study of human anatomy and physiology. At the end of the lesson, a quiz will test your knowledge.
16. Endocrine System Games & Activities
If you are teaching your students about the endocrine system, you might be looking for ways to make learning fun and engaging. This lesson offers you some games and activities to bring your students' learning to life!
17. Endocrine System Project Ideas
The endocrine system is one of the most complex anatomical systems. This lesson offers you some projects that will help your students understand the system and what it does.
18. Lymphatic System Activities & Games
Learning about the lymphatic system is an important part of learning how the body works. This lesson offers some activities and games that will make learning fun for your students!
19. Urinary System Games & Activities
Teaching students about the urinary system can sometimes feel a little awkward! The games and activities in this lesson will help keep learning lighthearted while still ensuring that your students internalize plenty of information.
20. Organ Systems Games
Play is an important part of the learning process. This lesson offers games and activities for students of all ages to playfully gather information about organs and their systems.
21. Water in the Human Body Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about the role water plays in our bodies. Students will watch an engaging video explaining the five main functions of water in the human body and answer questions about content before applying learning to an activity and taking a quiz.
22. The Role of Water in Human Biology
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain why water is so important, and describe the five main functions of water in the human body. A short quiz will follow.
23. Muscles Lesson Plan
The muscles can be intimidating to learn about, but your students are going to enjoy their learning experience as they watch a video and create poster presentations about muscles.
24. Muscle Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Kids really love learning about their bodies. Your students will enjoy learning about muscles as they read and discuss a text lesson, research and present muscles and take a quiz.
25. Muscle Facts: Lesson for Kids
Did you know your heart is a muscle? Learn about the different types of muscles in your body, how muscles work, and what muscles are made of in this lesson.
26. Muscular System Games & Activities
Teaching students about the muscular system can be fun. This lesson will describe games and activities you can use to support instruction on the muscular system using objects you already have on hand.
27. Toxicology Lesson Plan
Do you need an engaging lesson plan for teaching your students the basics about toxicology? You've come to the right place! This lesson plan will help your students learn about toxicology and acquire additional knowledge through research.
28. Toxicology: Definition, Data & Report
We hear about toxicology when we watch our favorite crime shows. In this lesson, you will learn more about toxicology including the data toxicologist collect and how the data is reported.
29. Anatomy Lesson Plan
Anatomy can be an exciting subject to teach your students. Your students can learn about anatomy by watching a video, having a discussion, completing a group activity and taking a quiz.
30. Organ Systems Lab Activities
Whether you approach teaching the organ systems with excitement or dread, there are creative ways to engage students in learning about these systems' vital functions.
31. Sleep Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is a tool for helping teachers instruct students about sleep. Students will explain various theories about the role dreams play in psychological health.
32. Kidney Lesson Plan
The organs in our body are important, but some, such as the kidneys, are critical to our survival. In this lesson, students will learn about the structure and functions of the kidneys and then complete an interactive activity.
33. Anatomy Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Anatomy is focused on the structures of living things. This lesson plan will help you teach your elementary students about anatomy with a text lesson, discussion questions and a culminating activity that highlights what they've learned.
34. Muscle Origin & Insertion Lesson Plan
Our muscles are strategically placed to allow for functional movement. Your students will learn about muscle origin, insertion, and action as they watch a video and identify origin and insertion of muscles.
35. Vital Signs Lesson Plan
Teach your students what vital signs are and how to take them with this lesson plan. Students will watch a video and discuss content then practice taking each of the vital signs in stations. Finish with a quiz.
36. Organ Systems Lesson Plan
There are several organ systems in the body and all are important for our bodies to function properly. Your students will learn about organ systems as they watch a video and create organ system posters.
37. Lymphatic System Functions Lesson Plan
The lymphatic system is critical to our survival. Your students will learn about the functions of the lymphatic system as they watch a video, create lymphatic structures profiles, and take a quiz.
38. Human Physiology Activities for High School
Looking for ways to help your students enjoy studying the human body and how it works? This lesson is filled with engaging activities all about human physiology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Anatomy & Physiology Lesson Plans & Resources course
- Respiratory System Games & Lesson Plans
- Circulatory System Games & Lesson Plans
- Nervous System & Senses Activities & Lesson Plans
- Skeletal System Games & Lesson Plans
- Digestive System Games & Lesson Plans
- Human Development Lesson Plans & Resources
- Animal Anatomy Lesson Plans
- Human Reproduction Lesson Plans & Activities