About This Chapter
Human Body Systems & Fitness - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers simple, fun and informative lessons about human body systems and the effects of physical activity. As you work through the chapter, you'll review physical fitness and health activities, fitness assessments, organ systems and more. When you're finished working through the chapter's lessons, you should be able to:
- Identify the human body's organ systems
- Describe the physiological effects that result from physical activity
- Assess the components of physical activity
- Recognize activities that can improve fitness
- Set health goals through the use of fitness assessments
If you want to make sure you fully understand these concepts, you can take the accompanying lesson quizzes and chapter exam. These resources are accessible 24/7, and you can use any computer or mobile device to study. You can also submit questions to our instructors if you need any clarification on these concepts.
1. What Are the Organ Systems of the Human Body?
In this lesson, you'll learn about the 11 organ systems, which are made of multiple organs that work together to keep the human body functioning. Using easy-to-understand descriptions and illustrations, we'll explore the circulatory, respiratory and digestive, systems, among other types, after which you'll have the chance to take a brief quiz and see how well you understood the material.
2. Physiological Effects of Physical Activity
Frequent challenging physical activity does a body good. This lesson will discuss the ways that the body adapts to physical activity and the physiological changes that come from it. We will end with a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
3. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
4. Activities to Improve Health & Skill-Related Fitness
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the many activities that can improve a person's physical and mental health. Then, see how, in some cases, activities can also improve their skillset.
5. Student Involvement in Personal, Family & Community Health
In this lesson, we will discuss ways to engage students in decision-making and problem-solving health topics. We will also explore ways to enhance student involvement in identifying ways to improve personal, family, community health and demonstrate evidence of applied strategies.
6. Using Fitness Assessments to Set Health Goals
Everybody wants to get healthier, so let's learn how to use fitness assessments to set your health goals. We'll look at an actual list of popular tests and techniques and we'll discuss how to interpret the tests so you can reach your health goals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) (197-200, 305): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Literacy
- Language Features & Acquisition
- Selecting Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Developing Emergent Literacy Skills
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Language & Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Reading Comprehension Instructional Strategies
- Analyzing Literary & Informational Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Literary & Text Analysis
- English Grammar Writing Conventions
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Instructional Strategies for Different Types of Writing
- Strategies for Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Counting, Cardinality, Numbers & Operations
- Fraction Operations
- Teaching Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Overview of Concepts in Algebra
- Principles of Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Properties & Operations of Functions
- Geometry Concepts
- Data Distribution & Graphs
- Permutation & Combination
- Interpreting Statistical & Probability Data
- Mathematical Development & Curriculum
- Measurement & Data
- Scientific Models & Relationships
- Scientific Inquiry & Lab Safety
- Evaluating Scientific Information
- Fundamental Concepts of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Overview of Government & Citizenship
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- Illinois Learning Standards
- ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) Flashcards