About This Chapter
Human Disease & Defense - Chapter Summary
While going through these lessons, you will deepen your understanding of human disease and defense. Topics covered include the Rh blood group, substance abuse, and the effects of different types of drugs. This self-paced chapter can also help you understand different medical terms. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- Discuss the efficiency of the immune system
- Explain the difference between specific and non-specific immunity
- Recall immune system diseases and four main types of pathogens
- Discuss prevention of noncommunicable diseases
- Describe genetic disorders and discuss prenatal genetic counseling
- Explain how stem cells are used in medicine
- Recall medical treatments related to the immune system
- Provide examples of how medical technology is used to diagnose disease
These lessons will help you quickly grasp concepts related to human disease and defense. A brief quiz is available to test your knowledge after each lesson, and the quizzes can be printed for use as a helpful study tool. A full written transcript accompanies each video in case you prefer text-based learning.
1. The Human Immune System: Inflammation & Antibodies
A body as efficient as ours deserves an equally efficient immune system to protect it. Luckily for us, the efficiency of the immune system is its greatest strength, as this lesson demonstrates.
2. Specific vs. Non-Specific Immunity
This lesson is on specific and non-specific immunity. Here, we'll go over what your immune system is and what it does. We will also explain the two parts of the immune system, specific and non-specific.
3. The Immune System at the Cellular Level: Terminology
This lesson defines several terms related to the microscopic aspects of the immune system: immunity, lymphocytes, B cells, T cells, macrophages, dendritic cells, complements, interferon, and lymphokines.
4. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
5. Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types & Causes
There are many different types of pathogens and many problems they cause. This lesson will teach you about four main types of pathogens, examples of each, and what problems they cause.
6. Noncommunicable Diseases: Early Detection & Prevention
In this lesson, we'll explain what noncommunicable diseases are. We'll be looking at two main examples, cancer and diabetes. For each disease we'll explain early detection processes and prevention strategies.
7. What are Genetic Disorders? - Definitions & Descriptions
This lesson defines genetic disorders and explores three main types of genetic disorders, including monogenetic disorders, chromosome disorders, and multifactorial inheritance disorders. You'll learn about genes, chromosomes, DNA, and much more!
8. Types of Drugs: Classifications & Effects
This lesson will describe the six major classes of psychoactive drugs, give examples of substances in each class, and explain what they cause a person to experience in the short-term and the long-term.
9. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
10. Rh Blood Group, Rh Factor & Erythroblastosis Fetalis
Rh factor is a red blood cell antigen found in most people. Those with Rh factor are Rh positive, while those without are Rh negative. In this lesson you will learn about Rh blood compatibility and its importance during pregnancy.
11. Prenatal Genetic Counseling and Assessment
When expecting a baby, many couples are concerned with the possibility of something being wrong with the baby's health. In this lesson, we'll explore genetic counseling, including who should consider it and what to expect.
12. What is a Stem Cell? - Definition, Uses & Research Facts
Stem cells are able to repair and replace damaged tissues and organs, and research on the use of these remarkable cells to treat many otherwise incurable conditions is ongoing. In this lesson, we'll learn what stem cells are and how they are being used in medicine.
13. Medical Terms for Treatments Related to the Immune System
While our immune system is there to protect us, it can sometimes overstep its bounds and hurt us, or it can be too weak to help us out. That's why we turn to immunotherapy, which can help in either instance.
14. Medical Technology: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, learn what medical technology is and be able to list many examples of diagnosis and treatment medical technology, both simple and complex.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards