About This Chapter
Human Disease & Diagnostic Technology - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to review the applications of human disease and diagnostic technology. Using an approachable and simplified teaching style, our instructors will show you the basics of imaging technology, diagnostic procedures and a variety of disease treatments. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Identify the causes and symptoms of malaria and acromegaly
- Recognize the stages and symptoms of syphilis and melanoma
- Evaluate proper acromegaly and melanoma treatments
- Identify types of electrocardiogram waves
- Remember CT, MRI and PET imaging vocabulary terms
- Discuss centesis and endoscopy procedures
The chapter is available to study at any time that fits your schedule, and you can use any computer or mobile device to access it. We've included short self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter, as well as a comprehensive chapter exam. You can also print the accompanying lesson transcripts, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have.
1. What Is Acromegaly? - Definition, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Explore the cause of acromegaly and how it will affect those that have been diagnosis with the disease process. Learn signs, symptoms, and current treatment.
2. What is Malaria? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
Malaria is a devastating disease that impacts millions of people worldwide every year. In this lesson, we will explore the organism that causes malaria and the disease itself.
3. What Is Syphilis? - Causes, Symptoms & Stages
We'll talk about a very well-known condition called syphilis, the bacterium that causes it, as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatment that is associated with it. We'll also look into which famous historical figure suffered from this disease.
4. What Is Melanoma? - Types, Stages, Symptoms & Treatment
Melanoma is the most dangerous and deadly form of skin cancer. Learn more about the types, stages, symptoms and treatment of melanoma, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Electrocardiogram (ECG): Definition & Wave Types
Do you know how problems in the heart are detected? In this lesson, you will learn how to read an electrocardiogram (ECG) and discover what is happening in the heart during the P, QRS, and T waves.
6. Vocabulary of CT, MRI & PET Imaging
In this lesson, you'll learn the definitions as well as general advantages and disadvantages of magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, and positron emission tomography.
7. What Are Endoscopy & Centesis Procedures?
Have you ever wondered how doctors can look inside of our body or take samples of stuff? There's actually more than one way, and this lesson describes two important ways: endoscopy and centesis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MHT-CET: Practice & Study Guide course
- Circular Motion & Gravitation
- Understanding Oscillations
- Understanding Rotational Motion
- Equilibrium & Elasticity
- Electric Force & Charge
- Current Electricity
- Using Electricity in Engineering
- Electromagnetic Induction & Magnetism
- Wave Motion
- Understanding Sound Waves
- Light Waves
- Kinetic Theory of Gasses & Radiation
- Atoms, Molecules & Nuclei in Physics
- Surface Tension & Energy
- Matter, Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding
- D-Block Elements, Halogens, Noble Gases & Alcohols
- Basic Measurement in Chemistry
- Understanding Chemical Solutions
- Chemical Reactions & Kinetics
- Concepts of Organic Chemistry
- Crystallization & Hydrogenation
- Applications of Chemistry in Everyday Life
- Variance, Probability & Distributions
- Geometry & 3D Shapes
- Overview of Basic Trigonometry
- Function Operations, Limits & Properties
- Exponents & Logarithms
- Linear Systems
- Vectors in Math
- Introduction to Matrices
- Calculation of Derivatives
- Applications of Derivatives in Calculus
- Integrals & Definite Integrals
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Logic & Algebra
- Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Plant Respiration & Photosynthesis
- DNA, Mendelian Genetics & Inheritance
- Introduction to Genetic Engineering
- Characteristics of Birds & Mammals
- Human Anatomy: Neurology and Endocrinology
- Human Anatomy: Cardiology, Nephrology and Immunology
- Reproduction & Contraception
- Origins of Life
- Concepts in Pharmacology
- Concepts in Ecology
- MHT-CET Flashcards