About This Chapter
Human Health Hazards - Chapter Summary
Increase your understanding of various human health hazards with these video and text lessons. You can find information about illnesses as well as self-induced health hazards such as the effects of abusing alcohol or drugs. Once you have completed your review of this material, you should be able to do the following:
- Relate what bacteria are and find out about types
- Understand what viruses do and how they spread
- Discuss the history of vaccines and how they work
- Identify groups of microorganisms
- Describe long-term effects of alcohol abuse
- Name harmful effects of tobacco use
- State information about drug use and their effects and types
Short lessons take only 5-10 minutes to review and contain expert instruction and examples to make it easy to learn and retain details. You can choose to print lesson transcripts to create handy reference tools. Self-assessment quizzes in each lesson allow you to determine how much you know and whether you are ready to move from one topic to the next.
1. Bacteria Lesson for Kids: Definition, Facts & Types
In this lesson, you learn about some of the smallest living things on the planet. You will be able to tell what bacteria are, what they are made of, and provide some examples of bacteria.
2. Viruses Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
In this lesson, you will learn about the sneaky and sometimes deadly virus. Learn how viruses spread, what they do and how to avoid becoming their next host.
3. Vaccines Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
In this lesson, learn how vaccines were discovered and why they are necessary. We'll also explore exactly how vaccines work in the body to give you protection from illnesses.
4. Microorganisms Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn about a world of living things you can't even see. By the end of the lesson, you will be able to define microorganism and identify some common groups of them.
5. Alcohol Lesson for Kids: Facts & Effects
While it's a widely-used substance, it doesn't mean consuming alcohol comes without risks. Read the following lesson to learn what happens each time a person drinks and some long-terms effects alcohol has on the body.
6. Tobacco Facts: Lesson for Kids
Do you like having trouble breathing? Do you want to be the slowest member of the track team? Do you like having acne? If not, then you probably should never use tobacco. This lesson will discuss the harmful effects of tobacco.
7. Drug Facts: Lesson for Kids
Drugs are an important issue in countries around the world. Come and learn about what drugs are, the different types of drugs and what they do and some ways to say no to drugs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Living Things in Their Environment
- Lifecycles & Ecosystems
- Overview of Plant Structure & Development
- Human & Animal Body Systems & Development
- Nutrition, Exercise & Personal Care
- Adaptation & Reproduction of Living Things
- Evolution & Inheritance
- Rocks & Soil Basics
- Basics of Light
- Forces & Magnets
- States of Matter Basics
- Sound & Hearing Basics
- Electricity Basics
- Properties of Materials
- Chemical Changes in Materials
- Overview of Earth & Space
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science Flashcards