About This Chapter
Human Reproduction, Pregnancy and Birth - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Use the lessons included in this chapter to learn about natural fertilization, fetal development and prenatal care. Instructors will also teach you about infertility and risk factors associated with getting pregnant later in life. This chapter is designed to teach you about:
- Birth defects
- Physical activity during pregnancy
- Childbirth complications
- Prenatal care and stages of childbirth
- Causes and treatment options for infertility
|Genetic Birth Defects: Risk Factors, Epidemiology, and Testing||Details testing methods for birth defects and examines some of the risk factors.|
|Ovulation to Implantation: Oocyte's Path Through Uterine Tubes||Outlines the natural fertilization process and identifies which cells are involved in the process. Looks at where this process occurs.|
|Fetal Development By Trimester: Timeline of Body Systems||Offers a timeline of the development of nervous, respiratory and other body systems in a fetus.|
|Prenatal Care: Nutrition||Examines the importance of proper nutrition during pregnancy. Discusses physical and emotional aspects of pregnancy.|
|Prenatal Care: Avoiding Drugs and Environmental Hazards||Lists some of the hazards that can interfere with proper prenatal care and explains how to avoid them.|
|Prenatal Care: Physical Activity and Mental/Emotional Health||Explores the benefits of physical activity during pregnancy. Looks at concerns associated with the mother's mental and emotional health.|
|The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental||Details each stage in the childbirth process. Highlights some of the complications that can occur during labor and delivery.|
|Childbirth Complications||Lists and assesses the problems that may surface during childbirth.|
|What is a C-Section? - Procedure, Types & Delivery||Defines a C-section and details some of the reasons to have one. Explains the risks and depicts the steps involved in a transverse C-section and a classic C-section.|
|Infertility: Causes and Potential Options||Investigates primary causes of infertility and identifies some possible solutions.|
|The Risk Of Giving Birth Later In Life||Describes problems that can arise for women over 30 who give birth. Considers both first-time and non-first-time mothers.|
|The HPG Axis: Hormones of Male Reproduction||Pinpoints the hormones controlling male puberty and reproduction. Explains their roles and defines negative feedback.|
|HPG Axis: Hormonal Control of the Ovarian Cycle||Identifies the three main structures of the HPG axis in women. Explores the roles of the hormones they produce.|
1. Genetic Birth Defects: Risk Factors, Epidemiology, and Testing
This lesson will define birth defects, point some major ones out, and discuss the many different kinds of risk factors. Finally, it will outline the major categories of tests available for assessing the risk for or diagnosing genetic birth defects.
2. Ovulation to Implantation: Oocyte's Path through Uterine Tubes
Follow the female's egg as it leaves the ovary and travels down the uterine tube on its way to the uterus - all with hopes of meeting up with a male's sperm along the way.
3. Fetal Development By Trimester: Timeline of Body Systems
This lesson will lay out for you when important body systems start to develop or begin to function as an unborn child develops trimester by trimester.
4. Prenatal Care: Nutrition
Does the saying 'You're now eating for two' mean that a pregnant women should double her caloric intake? What types of foods are needed during pregnancy? What about foods to avoid? Learn this and more in this lesson on prenatal nutrition.
5. Prenatal Care: Vitamins and Minerals
We all know that nutrition is important, and part of nutrition is getting enough vitamins and minerals. But how does that change when a woman gets pregnant? Learn about some of the vitamins and minerals that are essential during pregnancy.
6. Prenatal Care: Avoiding Drugs and Environmental Hazards
Illicit drugs and environmental hazards all pose risks to the health and safety of all people. But they also pose a danger to an unborn child. This lesson will go over some major contaminants and drugs and how they can impact a baby in a mother exposed to them.
7. Prenatal Care: Physical Activity and Mental/Emotional Health
In this lesson, you'll learn about the importance of physical, mental, and emotional health during pregnancy and how they can impact a pregnant woman and the unborn child.
8. The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental
You may think of the process of labor and childbirth as one long event, but it is actually divided into different stages. Learn about each of the three stages of labor in this lesson.
9. Complications that Can Arise Before or During Childbirth
This lesson discusses the different kinds of complications that might arise during pregnancy and during childbirth. Issues like placenta previa and breech will be covered.
10. Types of Labor Complication: Preterm, Miscarriages and Stillbirths
Along with the joys of finding out you or a loved one is pregnant also comes lots of new words and things to learn. This lesson will help introduce you to some of the terms concerning labor that you or your loved one might hear as you talk with your doctor or read all those baby pamphlets.
11. What is a C-Section? - Procedure, Types & Delivery
Do you know what happens when something goes wrong during the birthing process? You may have heard about C-sections, but do you know why they are performed - or how? Learn about this and more in this lesson on Cesarean sections.
12. Postnatal Care and SIDS
This lesson will address the often heard debate about breastfeeding vs. using baby formula in terms of which one is more beneficial. We'll also look into sudden infant death syndrome.
13. Infertility: Causes and Potential Options
Trouble having a baby may be a result of a woman or man's reproductive problems. This lesson discusses some common and important ones as well as the general treatment strategies employed to combat them.
14. The Risk of Giving Birth Later In Life
As a woman ages, the chances that she will have problems during pregnancy, birth, and thereafter increase. That's in addition to the potential problems the child may face. Find out about the risks of giving birth later in life in this lesson.
15. The HPG Axis: Hormones of Male Reproduction
Do you know how your body communicates? How does the brain get in touch with other parts of the body? In this lesson, you will learn about how the male's brain uses hormones to communicate to the testes as a way of regulating reproduction.
16. HPG Axis: Hormonal Control of the Ovarian Cycle
Everything in the female reproductive system is connected. See how the brain interacts with the ovaries during the female's ovarian cycle in this lesson covering the female HPG axis.
17. GTPAL System: Definition & Examples
GTPAL is an acronym used by doctors and nurses to understand more detail about a woman's obstetrical history. Learn about what GTPAL means and practice with examples in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards