About This Chapter
Human Reproduction & Development Basics - Chapter Summary
Our top instructors have developed entertaining lessons you can access anytime to gain greater insight into the basics of human reproduction and development. Use the lessons to ensure you fully comprehend the reproductive system, embryonic stage development, amniocentesis and more. Once you've finished the lessons, you will be able to:
- List the functions and structures of the male and female reproductive systems
- Describe the anatomy of the male testes
- Define ovaries and menstruation
- Detail the sperm's journey from the testes to the urethral orifice
- Explain the processes of fertilization and zygote formation
- Share details about the fetal period of pregnancy
- Identify and describe causes and methods of miscarriage and abortion
- Discuss risks associated with reproductive technologies
Lessons are fun to review and easily accessible using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Navigate this chapter in your sequence of choice, and visit the lessons as many times as needed. Find out how much you understand about human reproduction and development by taking mini quizzes and a chapter exam. If you develop questions about topics covered in the lessons, feel free to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. Functions & Structures of the Male Reproductive System
This lesson is going to cover the basic structures and functions that are a part of the male reproductive system. We will look at how these structures work together to allow for semen production and ejaculation.
2. Testicular Anatomy: Structure, Terms & Diagrams
Ever wonder about where sperm is made? Find out in this lesson covering the function and anatomy of the male testes. We'll talk about sperm and testosterone production and how the two work together.
3. Female Reproductive System: Functions & Structures
The primary function of the female reproductive system is to produce offspring. In this lesson, you'll travel through the female reproductive system. Along the way, you'll learn about important structures and the roles they play in creating life.
4. What Are Ovaries? - Definition, Functions & Size
Ovaries are the female gonads, and they play a major role in the female aspect of reproduction. This lesson discusses the functions of the ovaries and their basic characteristics.
5. What Is Menstruation? - Definition & Cycle
Menstruation is a natural process that is part of a woman's reproductive health. To learn why it happens and how it fits into the menstrual cycle, check out this lesson.
6. Sperm's Journey from the Testes to Urethral Orifice
Follow newly created sperm as they make their way from their origin of creation, the male testes, all the way to the exit of the male reproductive tract.
7. Fertilization and Zygote Formation: Definition and Processes
Follow the male's sperm and the female's egg on their way to meet each other in this lesson that takes you through the process of fertilization in humans. Learn about the obstacles the sperm must get through before it can fertilize the egg.
8. Embryonic Stage Development: Definition & Concept
There are three basic stages of mammalian gestation: germinal, embryonic, and fetal. This lesson focuses on embryonic development and the stages of growth between implantation and the point when an embryo becomes a fetus.
9. The Fetal Period of Pregnancy: Definition & Development
The fetal stage of pregnancy is a critical developmental phase for an unborn child. Many key changes take place to prepare the child for independent living outside of the womb. This article discusses the critical time periods within the fetal stage of development.
10. Abortion and Miscarriage: Methods and Causes
This lesson will teach you whether exercise can cause a miscarriage, what the major cause of miscarriage is, and what the two major classes of abortion are.
11. What Is Amniocentesis? - Definition, Purpose, Procedure & Risks
Upon completion of this lesson, you will be able to define amniocentesis and describe how it is performed, its purpose, and potential risks involved. A short quiz follows the lesson.
12. Reproductive Technologies: Definition, Examples & Risks
If a man and woman cannot naturally conceive a child, they have many options at their disposal to try and become pregnant. All of them are a form of assisted reproductive technology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards