About This Chapter
Human Reproduction & Development - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, you'll learn about different aspects of human reproduction and development. You'll review critical stages of embryonic development, the fetal period of pregnancy, and female sterilization procedures. You'll also take a look at different hormonal methods of contraception. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the functions of the male reproductive system, including how semen is produced
- Detail the structures of the female reproductive system, including those involved in creating life
- Explain why the menstrual cycle happens
- Describe what happens when gametes fuse together
- Explore the process of human fertilization
- Explain what happens during embryo implantation and placenta formation
- Discuss the three stages of labor
- Examine barrier methods and hormonal methods of contraception
- Understand the purpose of a vasectomy
Our experts present the information in these short video and text lessons using plenty of examples to ensure the material is easy to understand. In the video lessons, the timelines let you easily navigate to specific topics. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as worksheets.
1. Functions & Structures of the Male Reproductive System
This lesson is going to cover the basic structures and functions that are a part of the male reproductive system. We will look at how these structures work together to allow for semen production and ejaculation.
2. Female Reproductive System: Functions & Structures
The primary function of the female reproductive system is to produce offspring. In this lesson, you'll travel through the female reproductive system. Along the way, you'll learn about important structures and the roles they play in creating life.
3. What Is Menstruation? - Definition & Cycle
Menstruation is a natural process that is part of a woman's reproductive health. To learn why it happens and how it fits into the menstrual cycle, check out this lesson.
4. Gametes: Definition, Formation & Fusion
Gametes are the cells that fuse together during sexual reproduction to form a new organism. This lesson covers what these cells are, what they do, and the end result of when they meet.
5. What is Human Fertilization? - Process, Definition & Symptoms
Human fertilization is a complicated process that results in a fertilized egg. The fertilized egg will mature in the womb of its mother until birth. This lesson will go over the process, basic definition, and some symptoms of human fertilization.
6. Embryo Implantation and Placenta Formation
This lesson will cover the journey the mammalian embryo first makes after it has been fertilized. Learn how maternal blood moves through the embryo, and how the placenta is formed.
7. Embryonic Stage Development: Definition & Concept
There are three basic stages of mammalian gestation: germinal, embryonic, and fetal. This lesson focuses on embryonic development and the stages of growth between implantation and the point when an embryo becomes a fetus.
8. The Fetal Period of Pregnancy: Definition & Development
The fetal stage of pregnancy is a critical developmental phase for an unborn child. Many key changes take place to prepare the child for independent living outside of the womb. This article discusses the critical time periods within the fetal stage of development.
9. The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental
You may think of the process of labor and childbirth as one long event, but it is actually divided into different stages. Learn about each of the three stages of labor in this lesson.
10. Barrier Methods of Contraceptives: Types, Advantages & Disadvantages
While you are probably all familiar with what a condom is, did you know there are a lot of other options out there for preventing pregnancy? Learn about some of the barrier methods of contraception in this lesson.
11. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Introduction and Birth Control Pills
We have all heard of the birth control pill, right? And many of you women out there probably take some form of birth control. But do you really understand how it works or what the different options are? Learn about the basics of hormonal contraceptives in this lesson.
12. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Patch, Ring, and Implants
Did you know there are many forms of contraception out there, and not just condoms and birth control pills? Learn about some of the other options in this lesson on hormone-based contraceptives.
13. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Injections and IUDs
Did you know there are some methods of birth control that last up to five years! Or, if that is too long, some that last three months at a time? Learn about these two options in this lesson on contraceptive injections and IUDs.
14. Female Sterilization Procedures: Tubal Ligation and Tubal Occlusion
So, you and your spouse have reached that point in life where you are done having kids. What now? In this lesson, you will learn about some of the methods of permanent female sterilization available to women who have decided not to have any more children.
15. Vasectomy: Purpose, Advantages & Disadvantages
You may have heard of a guy 'getting snipped,' a procedure otherwise known as a vasectomy. What this entails may be simpler than you think. Learn about the procedure, effects and reversal options in this lesson on the vasectomy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Biological Diversity in the Living World
- The Cell: The Basic Unit of Life
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Biomolecules & Enzymes
- Genetics & DNA
- Digestive & Excretory Systems in Humans
- Respiratory System Overview
- Body Fluids & Circulation
- Movement, Control & Coordination of the Body
- Overview of Plant Structure & Function
- Photosynthesis & Respiration
- Plant Reproduction Overview
- Plant Growth & Movement
- Evolution Basics
- Ecology Overview
- Biodiversity & Environmental Issues
- Relationship Between Biology & Human Welfare
- Biotechnology & Its Applications
- BITSAT Exam - Biology Flashcards