About This Chapter
Human Reproduction Overview - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides you with the opportunity to review information about male and female reproductive systems, functions and structures. You will become more familiar with terms, definitions and examples to fully understand this topic.
You can also access lessons focusing on such processes as menstruation, gestation and prenatal development. After you have thoroughly gone over the lessons in this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Name external structures of the male reproductive system
- Describe the structures and functions of the female reproductive system
- Define menstruation and human embryogenesis
- Discuss which structures play important roles in gestation
- Relate facts about the prenatal stage, from the prenatal environment to what can harm prenatal development
- Provide details about the stages and characteristics marking adolescence
Expert instructors condense important facts into 5-10 minute video and text lessons that are easy to access and follow. Track your progress on your Dashboard and take self-assessment quizzes to measure how much you have learned and to determine the possible need for further review. Reaching out to instructors with any lesson-specific questions is also easy with online contact forms.
1. Male Reproductive System: External Anatomy
Learn about the structure and function of the external reproductive structures of the male. This includes study of the scrotal sac, the parts of the penis and the erectile tissues.
2. Female Reproductive System: Functions & Structures
The primary function of the female reproductive system is to produce offspring. In this lesson, you'll travel through the female reproductive system. Along the way, you'll learn about important structures and the roles they play in creating life.
3. Human Embryogenesis: Definition & Stages
In this lesson, you'll learn about human embryogenesis, the process of reproduction in humans. You'll explore what happens during each stage of embryogenesis, as well as the key terms used to discuss the process.
4. What Is Menstruation? - Definition & Cycle
Menstruation is a natural process that is part of a woman's reproductive health. To learn why it happens and how it fits into the menstrual cycle, check out this lesson.
5. Body Structures of Gestation: Medical Terminology
As a child develops inside the mother's womb, it's nourished and protected. Learn about structures such as the chorion, amnion, amniotic sac, amniotic fluid, placenta and umbilical cord, and the roles they play during gestation.
6. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
7. What Is Adolescence? - Definition, Stages & Characteristics
Did you know that there are three stages of adolescence? Learn more about adolescence, its stages, and the characteristics of each stage. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Cells & Organization
- Overview of Nutrition
- Human Gas Exchange Systems
- Reproduction in Plants
- Outside Influences on Health
- Overview of Photosynthesis
- Overview of Cellular Respiration
- Relationships in an Ecosystem
- Variation & Classification
- The Particulate Nature of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & Compounds Basics
- Pure & Impure Substances
- Chemical Reaction Basics
- Overview of Acids & Bases
- Energy Resources & Conservation
- Describing Motion
- Force, Rotation, Pressure & Density
- Sound Waves & Hearing
- Light Waves & Properties
- Basics of Circuits
- Magnetism & Electromagnets
- Physics of Space
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science Flashcards