About This Chapter
Human Resource Management Basics - Chapter Summary
Our instructors make it easy to get reacquainted with the basics of human resource management. By exploring bite-sized video lessons, you can brush up on your knowledge of the history of HRM, external factors that impact HRM and types of organizational structure. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Discuss the importance of human capital to an organization
- Define human resource management and discuss its objectives
- Describe the internal structure of an HR department
- Differentiate between human resource management and personnel management
- Explain how to align HRM and organizational strategy
- Detail out to manage human resources in small and entrepreneurial firms
Each lesson in this chapter is available to review two ways: engaging videos and text transcripts. Videos are entertaining to review and average about 8 minutes each, and the text transcripts provide for quick reads and can be printed to study at a later time. Paired with each lesson is a short multiple-choice quiz designed to assess your knowledge of main concepts. Our practice test at the end of the chapter ensures you have a comprehensive understanding of the entire chapter.
1. What Is Human Capital? - Importance to An Organization
All organizations require human capital to function and accomplish their goals. In this lesson, you'll learn what human capital is, its importance and the role that human resource management plays in it. A short quiz follows.
2. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
3. History of HRM: Craft System & Human Relations Movement
Human resource management can trace its historical roots back to pre-industrial society. In this lesson, we'll explore the history of human resource management from before the Industrial Revolution up to the human relations movement.
4. The Internal Structure of an HR Department
Human resource management serves a vitally important function in most organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn how an organization may structure its human resource management functions within the organization.
5. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
6. Human Resource Management vs. Personnel Management
Is there a difference between human resource management and personnel management? Some say there is, and some say there's not. In this lesson, we'll explore what these terms mean and present the case that there is a difference.
7. Organizational Structure: Definition, Types & Examples
Organizational structure influences how a business operates from the inside out. In this lesson, we'll explore the three most common forms of organizational structure relevant to today's business.
8. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
9. Managing Human Resources in Small & Entrepreneurial Firms
Do small and medium enterprises need a human resources function? And if so, what form will it take? This lesson looks at the various ways in which human resources can be managed in SMEs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Overview
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Systems Software & Management
- Using Software & Media to Communicate
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Word Features
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar
- Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Best Practices
- Design of Technical & Business Documents
- Working with Technical Reports
- Managing Physical Resources in Business
- Office Design & Ergonomics
- Business Records Management
- Database Management & Security
- Framework for Business Communication
- Running Effective Business Meetings
- Group Communication Skills in the Workplace
- Business Messaging Fundamentals
- Communicating Electronically
- Effective Messaging for Workplace Communication
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Sentence Types & Components
- Planning & Managing Events
- HR in a Global Business Environment
- Employee Recruitment & Selection
- Compensation Methods
- Employee Training & Professional Development
- Employer Compliance & Regulations
- Accounting Basics Overview
- Financial Statements in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Effective Management & Leadership
- Managerial & Interpersonal Communication
- Understanding Diversity while Communicating
- Business Networking Basics
- IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional Flashcards