About This Chapter
Human Resource Management in Education - Chapter Summary
Our instructors present human resource management as it applies to education in this engaging chapter. You'll review the hiring process, common staffing selection methods and the process of hiring and supervising teaching staff. Additional lesson topics include the role human resources plays in employee productivity and retention, plus how incentives can be used in employee motivation programs. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Define employee performance
- Detail procedures for employee discipline in the workplace
- Follow best practices for employee termination
- Describe the components of teacher contracts
- Outline the regulations and laws that apply to human resource management (HRM)
- Identify the employee rights pertaining to privacy and safety
- Understand how contractural and legal agreements are managed in education
Each one of our professionally-created lessons comes with a multiple-choice quiz you can use to test your understanding as you move through the chapter. If you need to go back and review certain topics in a video lesson, use the video tabs feature to skip to a specific section. Our helpful instructors are available to answer any questions you might have along the way.
1. The Hiring Process: How Human Resource Managers Recruit and Hire Employees
When a company is hiring, they need to ensure that they hire the right employees. There are several different steps involved in the hiring process. This lesson explains these steps that include application forms, testing, interviewing, reference checks and health exams.
2. Common Staffing Selection Methods: Definitions, Interview Types, Pros & Cons
Most companies rely on interviewing potential employees as part of the selection process. In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of interviews utilized by companies. We'll also cover some of the major pitfalls in using them.
3. Hiring & Supervising Teaching Staff: Placement & Best Practices
In this lesson, you will learn about effective hiring and supervisory practices. You will also learn how these practices can help you to successfully place teachers to maximize the benefits to your school community.
4. Role of HR in Employee Retention & Productivity
This lesson reviews and explains how human resource managers and teams can implement methods to increase employee retention and how employee retention strategies can lead to increases in employee productivity.
5. Employee Motivation Programs: Incentives and Reward Systems
Every individual is motivated by different things. Money, awards or even just public praise are all parts of motivation. In this lesson, we will dig a little deeper and look at the forms of incentive and rewards programs.
6. What Is Employee Performance?
The success of any business is closely tied to the job performance of its employees. Learn about the management of employee performance, including training, development and appraisals.
7. Employee Discipline in the Workplace: Procedures & Principle
Employee discipline in the workplace is a touchy subject. In this lesson, you will learn what employee discipline is, and how it affects the modern workplace.
8. Terminating an Employee: Process & Best Practices
Learn about the several steps involved in the process of terminating an employee, as well as the best practices a manager can use to ensure a fair and legal separation of employment.
9. Overview of Teacher Contracts: Components & Laws
If you are a teacher getting a contract, this lesson contains very useful information for you! We will reference the laws that govern teacher contracts, as well as discuss the main contract components.
10. Human Resource Management (HRM): Laws & Regulations
Learn about several laws, regulations, policies and governing entities that human resource management (HRM) must comply with, like the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), sexual harassment and affirmative action.
11. Employee Rights: Privacy & Safety
The modern workplace can be an intrusive and sometimes even a dangerous and violent place. In this lesson, you'll learn about employee privacy and safety. Topics will include employee surveillance, social media and workplace safety and violence.
12. Managing Legal & Contractual Agreements in Education
Educational leaders can manage legal and contractual agreements and records in ways that foster professional work environments. This lesson will identify ways to manage documents and promote student success.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Educational Leadership (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- Management Skills for Education
- Overview of Public Education
- Overview of Educational Leadership
- Stakeholder & Community Involvement in Education
- Ethics & Professionalism for Educational Leaders
- Creating a Positive Culture of Learning
- Theories of Effective Learning
- Methods & Tools for Effective Learning
- Effective Learning for Diverse Student Groups
- Professional Development for Educators & Teachers
- Promoting Team Development & Growth in Education
- Operational Management in Education
- Fiscal Management in Education
- Legal Dimensions of Educational Leadership
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Educational Leadership Flashcards