About This Chapter
Human Resource Operations - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to provide you with an in-depth review of human resource operations as taught by experienced instructors. You will go over such topics as HR department structures, strategies, planning methods and responsibilities.
Through a combination of videos and printable lesson transcripts, you can gain a deeper understanding of the role of human resources in the operations of any type of organization. Upon completion of this chapter, you will have the ability to:
- Explain the objectives of human resources
- List the functions of a human resource department
- Discuss factors outside human resources that can impact this department
- Describe the four main types of employees
- Compare human resource and personnel management
- Understand how human resources can be aligned with the vision of an organization
- Apply organizational branding methods
- Outline general human resource policies and procedures
Each lesson is brief but informative, providing coverage of the material you could expect to be tested on when pursuing certification in this area. Lessons can be accessed at any time, on any device, and transcripts are printable for easy reference as you continue your studies. Self-assessment quizzes appear at the end of each lesson and allow you to gauge how much you have learned and retained and whether you need further review of a specific topic before moving on to other lessons.
1. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
2. The Internal Structure of an HR Department
Human resource management serves a vitally important function in most organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn how an organization may structure its human resource management functions within the organization.
3. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
4. Types of Employee Classification
We'll discuss four main types of employees: full-time, part-time, on-call and intern. We'll also define 'independent contractor' and discuss the difference between independent contractors and employees.
5. Human Resource Management vs. Personnel Management
Is there a difference between human resource management and personnel management? Some say there is, and some say there's not. In this lesson, we'll explore what these terms mean and present the case that there is a difference.
6. Human Resources: Organizational Vision, Mission & Values
In this lesson, you will learn the role of human resource leaders and how they provide guidance for an organization. You will also learn how human resource leaders can work with employees to build a mission, vision, and value statement.
7. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
8. The Role of HR in Organizational Branding
This lesson focuses on the role that human resources can play in organization branding. It will walk you through the organizational branding process and demonstrate the relationship between employer brand and the overall company brand.
9. Developing & Maintaining an HR Budget
The budgeting process for human resources is key to the strategy of the department. Identifying expenses and possible risk scenarios and economic conditions helps the HR department fit into the overall company's budget success.
10. Human Resource Planning: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we'll define human resource planning and explore the many responsibilities of the human resource department. We'll then learn about the process of human resource planning.
11. Human Resource Policies & Procedures
The policies and procedures of human resources departments are designed to help ensure equality, safety, and consistency in the workplace. In this lesson, you'll learn about the necessity, purpose, importance, and development of these policies and procedures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources course
- Human Resource Metrics
- HR Data Tools & Collection
- Business Records Management
- Technology & Information Systems for Human Resources
- Job Design & Performance Metrics
- Workplace Organizational Structure
- Functions & Types of Business Management
- Workplace Communication Techniques
- Hiring, Recruiting & Outsourcing for Human Resources
- Compensation Systems, Benefits & Incentive Programs
- Role of HR in Employee Training & Development
- Performance Appraisal in Business Management
- Employee Relations & Recognition Programs
- Employee Feedback
- Overview of Employee Rights & Employment Law
- Employee Behavior in the Workplace
- Employee Discipline & Termination
- Employee Health, Safety & Security
- aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources Flashcards