About This Chapter
Human Resources Role in Employment- Chapter Summary
Use the material in this chapter to help understand the concepts behind the role of human resources in employment. This chapter explores concepts such as:
- Compensation and benefits
- Candidate selection methods
- Job interviews
- Procedures for selecting job candidates
- Pre- & post-offer activities
- New hire orientation
- Employee retention and productivity
- Maintenance and processing of forms
- Types of termination
This comprehensive, yet easy-to-use, study guide will make studying about human resources' role in employment fun. The engaging video lessons generally are no longer than 5 minutes. They are paired with transcripts that are complete with terms in bold for emphasis. Our expert instructors guide you through the lessons so that you can pass the quizzes and tests with ease.
1. Compensation & Benefits: Effects on Recruitment & Retention
Companies have to stay competitive when it comes to compensation and benefits. This lesson will take a look at how these two items can impact recruitment and retention of employees.
2. Candidate Selection Tools & Methods: Testing & Screening
Hiring the right person can be a tedious process. This lesson describes the tools and methods that are used when screening a large number of candidates in order to find the best candidate for the job.
3. Job Interviews: Types & Common Questions
Everyone who works for someone else probably had to undergo the dreaded job interview. In this lesson, you'll learn about types of interviews and examples of some common questions. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
4. Job Candidate Selection Procedures & Events
This lesson reviews the recruiting process from the time a large pool of candidates is selected to when the pool is narrowed down to the top candidates. This process involves resume reviews, phone interviews, and on-site interviews.
5. Role of HR in Pre- & Post-Offer Activities
From the time a candidate is selected as the best fit for a role, HR is responsible for the majority of pre- and post-offer activities. In this lesson, we'll review the tasks that take place from the preparation and extension of an offer through the candidate's first day.
6. New Hire Orientation: Importance of Training Design & Content
A key HR function is ensuring that employees become integrated into the organization and their jobs as efficiently, effectively and quickly as possible. In this lesson, you'll learn about the orientation process, which seeks to achieve this.
7. Role of HR in Employee Retention & Productivity
This lesson reviews and explains how human resource managers and teams can implement methods to increase employee retention and how employee retention strategies can lead to increases in employee productivity.
8. Employee HR Forms: Maintenance & Processing
There are numerous documents that a human resources department must maintain for each staff member. This lesson provides an overview of different ways HR can maintain employee records.
9. Types of Termination: Attrition, Layoffs, Resignation, Retirement & RIF
An organization's labor force is almost always in flux: sometimes employees need to be replaced and sometimes they don't. In this lesson, you'll learn about the different ways employment can be terminated. A short quiz follows the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources course
- Role of HR in Business Management & Strategy
- Role of HR in Organizational Policies & Procedures
- Role of HR in Change Management
- Human Resource Workforce Planning
- Role of HR in Employee Development
- Organizational Development Theories
- The Global Workplace
- Role of HR in Employee Compensation & Benefits
- HR's Role in Employee & Labor Relations
- Risk Management in the Workplace
- SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources Flashcards