About This Chapter
Human Sexuality - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter cover human sexual behavior, beginning with an overview of the reproductive system in males and females, followed by a look at the sexual development and changes that occur during puberty. Our instructors will discuss what to consider when planning a family.
You'll get information on current controversies regarding sexuality in our culture and look at the importance of good communication between sexual partners. When you've finished the video lessons in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Locate the major organs of reproduction in men and women and describe their function
- List some changes in sexual development that occur during adolescence
- Identify important issues when planning a pregnancy
- Analyze several viewpoints regarding controversial sexual issues
- Name ways a couple can improve their communication skills
This information is presented in short video lessons as well as written transcripts. Key terms are identified, and it's easy to follow the embedded video tags to review the parts of the lessons where you're having trouble. At the end of every lesson, you can test your learning through multiple-choice quizzes.
1. Human Sexual Anatomy & Physiology: Major Features & Functions
This lesson provides an important overview of the major male and female reproductive structures, functions, and hormones. We'll learn about everything from semen and testosterone to estrogen and the vulva.
2. Key Issues When Planning A Pregnancy
When planning a pregnancy, important things must be considered to ensure maximum safety of both mother and child. This includes taking an assessment of your medications, supplements, medical conditions, and habits.
3. Sexual Controversies in Society: Differing Viewpoints
Views of sexuality differ by person and by culture, which can cause difference in opinion on many sexual controversies. This lesson covers several of those debates, including teen pregnancy, birth control, pornography, and prostitution.
4. Healthy Communication Skills for Romantic Relationships
Communication is very important to a healthy romantic relationship and something we must actively work to improve. In this lesson, explore healthy communication skills and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education: Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Family and Social Systems
- Dealing with Negative Social Behavior
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Risk Factors
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Medical Emergency Care
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards