About This Chapter
Human Welfare & Diseases - Chapter Summary
Video lessons in this chapter simplify the process of understanding diseases and food production as they relate to human welfare. Take a close look at how humans are impacted by malaria, typhoid fever, seed plants and much more. By the end of this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- List and describe various types of diseases
- Describe types of pathogens, and discuss the problems they can cause
- Explain the symptoms and causes of typhoid fever
- Discuss the prevention and treatment of malaria
- Showcase an understanding of HIV and AIDs, and discuss the mechanisms of these viruses
- Detail how seed plants impact human welfare
- Define and list types and uses of microbes
This chapter is self-paced, which enables you to access any lessons in the sequence and at the frequency you desire. You also have the flexibility to review the lessons anytime 24/7 utilizing any computer, smartphone or tablet. If you're interested in testing your comprehension of the lessons you review, feel free to take their self-assessment quizzes. Get a broader review of the lessons by taking the comprehensive chapter exam.
1. What Are the Types of Diseases?
This lesson will focus on the different types of diseases that a person may develop or contract. We'll discuss the differences between acute, chronic, primary, secondary, local, and systemic diseases.
2. Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types & Causes
There are many different types of pathogens and many problems they cause. This lesson will teach you about four main types of pathogens, examples of each, and what problems they cause.
3. Typhoid Fever: Symptoms, Causes and Salmonella Typhi
Have you ever heard of the infamous Typhoid Mary, a cook responsible for spreading disease to over a thousand unlucky diners? In this lesson, we will learn about typhoid fever and the causative organism Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi.
4. Malaria: Prevention and Treatment
In this lesson examining malaria, we will look at the impact of the disease in the U.S. and the major methods of preventing the disease. We will also discuss how to correctly treat patients stricken by malaria.
5. HIV and AIDS: Mechanisms and Diseases of the Retroviridae Virus Family
Learn about one of the most famous viruses in the world: HIV. We'll also delve into a condition you've almost certainly heard of: AIDS. Finally, we'll discuss the mechanisms of how viruses in this family cause so much damage and if there's anything you can do about it.
6. The Effects of Seed Plants on Human Welfare
Have you ever stopped to think how important the plants growing outside your home actually are? What do they provide you with? Why is their biodiversity important? This lesson explains.
7. What Are Microbes? - Definition, Types & Uses
Microbes are the tiny microorganisms that inhabit the world with us, around us, and even in us. Learn more about how these microscopic beings affect our lives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Eligibility Test (AIPMT): Study Guide course
- Types of Scientific Measurement
- Working with Vectors
- Kinematics Overview
- Laws of Motion Overview
- Understanding Work, Energy and Power
- Systems of Particles and Rigid Body Dynamics
- Orbital Mechanics
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Perfect Gases and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations & Waves
- Introduction to Electrostatics
- Physics of Electrical Circuits
- Electronic Components
- Magnetic Fields & Forces Overview
- Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Currents
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Optics & Light
- Atoms, Isotopes & Radiation
- Foundations of Chemistry & Organic Chemistry
- Atomic Structure & Properties of Elements
- Molecular Structure & Chemical Bonds
- Properties of Gases and Liquids
- Thermodynamics Overview
- Equilibrium & Reactions
- Properties of Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Properties of p-Block Elements
- Hydrogen & Hydrocarbons
- Pollution & Environmental Hazards
- Solids & Solutions
- Electrochemistry, Surface Chemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Properties of Periodic Table Groups
- Compounds & Chemical Reactions
- Biomolecules & Polymers
- Chemicals in Everyday Life
- Diversity & Classifications in Biology
- Biology of the Cell
- Basic Plant Physiology
- Basic Human Physiology
- Functions & Processes in Reproduction
- Genetics & Evolution
- Applications of Biotechnology
- National Eligibility Test (AIPMT) Flashcards