About This Chapter
Humans & Environmental Impact - Chapter Summary
The environment has had a major impact on human settlements and activities over the centuries, and humans have significantly impacted the environment as well. Take a look at the relationship between humans and the environment with fun lessons you can review at home or on-the-go. After examining this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Explain the ways humans have adapted to their environments
- Discuss the influence the environment has had on human settlements and activities
- Share ways the growth in human population has affected the environment
- Identify ways humans over-exploit the environment and impact ecosystems and species
- List the atmospheric causes of global warming and its effect on climate
- Describe the history and future of human population growth
- Detail ways population size can impact resource consumption
- Provide details about the effect technology has on society and the environment
Make sure you have a quality understanding of the relationship between humans and the environment by reviewing this chapter's lessons your way. Access lessons anytime, day or night, from any computer, smartphone or tablet. Review them in the order and at the frequency you desire. Before, during or after examining the lessons, assess your knowledge of concepts covered by taking mini quizzes. Get a more comprehensive review of topics explored in this chapter by taking the practice exam.
1. How Humans Adapted to Their Environments
In this lesson, you will explore the impact of early humans on their environments and discover how these first communities survived. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Environmental Influences on Human Settlements & Activities
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the environmental reasons why humans settled where they did, both historically and more recently. A short quiz will follow.
3. Human Impacts on the Environment
The human population continues to grow, but the size of Earth and the resources available for our use are limited. Humans greatly impact the world around them, and our actions can and often do have dramatic and long-lasting consequences.
4. Over-Exploitation: How Humans Affect Ecosystems By Decreasing Species Populations
In this lesson, you'll learn how humans overexploit or overharvest species. You will discover the primary way in which humans are responsible for overfishing. You will also learn about how this negatively impacts ecosystems.
5. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
6. The History of Human Population Growth and Carrying Capacity
Most of us are used to the current size of the human population but it was not always this large. In this lesson, we will explore the history of human population growth and the future of its growth.
7. Population Size: Impacts on Resource Consumption
What are the things you need to survive? Humans all need resources, and in this lesson, we will discuss how the growth of the human population is influencing the natural resources we rely on.
8. How Technology Impacts Society & the Environment
What is technology? And how has it changed society over the last couple of centuries? Discover how different our lives would be without technology, but also how the benefits come with harms to our environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Social Studies: Practice & Study Guide course
- World History Through the 1500's
- World History from the 1500s to the 1700s
- Mid-18th Century to Present Day World History
- Pre-Colonial America
- Colonizing the New World & the Start of a New Nation
- America's Early Years
- America from the Civil War to WWI
- The United States in the 20th Century
- The Evolution of American Culture in the 20th Century
- Geographic Tools & Regions
- Human Population Patterns
- Historical Geography & Contemporary Issues
- The United States Constitution & Government
- Structure of the Different Levels of U.S. Government
- Colorado History & Law
- Political Relationships & the United States
- Microeconomics & Macroeconomics Overview
- Economic Systems & Activity
- Exchange & Trade Relationships
- Psychology, Sociology & Anthropology Basics
- Behavioral & Social Science Basics
- Writing & Research for Social Studies
- PLACE Social Studies Flashcards