About This Chapter
Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds - Chapter Summary
As you start to explore the individual elements, utilize our chapter to remind yourself about hydrogen and the various hydrogen compounds. Our materials provide a fast and easy way to get caught up with such topics as the characteristics of hydrogen, the chemical properties of hydrogen compounds, and heavy water vs. light water. Besides our easy-to-follow lessons, we also offer self-assessment quizzes and additional learning tools. At the end of this chapter, you should gain the knowledge to do the following:
- Describe the production and formula of hydrogen
- Identify the isotopes and properties of dihydrogen
- Analyze the various types of hydrides
- Check out water and all its properties
- Define hydrogen peroxide and explain its structure
- Examine the average atomic mass and isotopes
- Explain the uses for hydrogen as a fuel source
Even if you need to learn this information to pass an upcoming exam, you may be worried about having enough time to study. With our materials, though, there is no need to worry, because we build everything around you and your schedule. We never make you come in or make an appointment, and instead we give you full flexibility. You can access our lessons online around the clock. You don't even have to be at home to study, as you can make any wi-fi hotspot into your personal mobile study center.
Each of the lessons in our chapter can be completed in around 5-10 minutes. With a busy schedule, you may not have large blocks of time to study, but you probably have several 10 minute blocks of time in between appointments or while you're on the go. Make the most of those free minutes by fitting in our lessons throughout your day.
1. What is Hydrogen? - Formula, Production & Uses
Hydrogen is the lightest naturally occurring element, and is important in many biological, chemical, and industrial processes. This article discusses hydrogen, its properties, and some of its many uses.
2. Hydrides: Properties & Types
In this lesson we will learn about one of the most common types of chemical bonds, hydrides. We will learn about the different types of hydride bonds.
3. Properties of Water
Why does ice float? Why can water rise on its own against gravity in a small tube? Find out how these mysterious properties of water can be explained by hydrogen bonds.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide: Preparation, Properties & Structure
Hydrogen peroxide is a bubbly, antimicrobial agent. In this lesson, we will learn how it is used, what its physical and chemical properties are, and how it is prepared.
5. Isotopes and Average Atomic Mass
When you drink a glass of water, you are actually drinking a combination of heavy water and light water. What's the difference? Is it harmful? This video will explain the difference between the two types of water and go into detail on the significance of the different isotopes of elements.
6. Hydrogen as a Fuel: Properties & Uses
Today, there's more and more emphasis on using fuels that are renewable and that don't produce harmful emissions. Hydrogen is one such fuel, but the technology to use it still needs work. Learn more in this lesson.
7. The Three Isotopes of Hydrogen
When we are looking at the atomic number of an element in the periodic table, we may not know it, but these elements may have isotopes. This depends on the number of their neutrons. In this lesson, we will learn about the three isotopes of hydrogen.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Diversity in the Living World
- Plant Structures & Systems
- Overview of Plant Physiology
- Understanding Plant Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Ecology
- Understanding Plant Genetics
- Cell Structure, Function & Division
- Understanding Microbiology
- Basics of Genetics
- Biotechnology Overview
- Zoology Overview
- Structural Organization of Animals
- Types of Animals
- Protozoa Basics
- Biology & Human Welfare
- Type Study of Periplaneta Americana
- Ecology & the Environment
- Human Digestion, Respiration, Circulation & Excretion Systems
- Human Muscular, Skeletal & Nervous Systems
- Human Endocrine & Immune Systems
- Understanding Human Reproduction
- Understanding Genetics & Heredity
- Organic Evolution
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Thermal Properties of Matter
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Solids in Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical) Flashcards