About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering information about hypoglycemia will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about causes, complications and signs of hypoglycemia. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing facts about hypoglycemia
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning health and wellness (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Hypoglycemia Causes & Symptoms chapter exam.
Why It Works
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take Hypoglycemia Causes & Symptoms chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any health and wellness question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about hypoglycemia for a standard health course. Topics covered include:
- Causes, symptoms and treatment of hypoglycemia without diabetes
- Comparison of hypoglycemia and diabetes and hypo- and hyperglycemia
- A description of a hypoglycemic episode
- Complications and consequences of hypoglycemia
- The occurrence of hypoglycemia with gestational diabetes and fibromyalgia
- Causes and effects of hypoglycemia in children and during pregnancy
- Signs and treatment of hypoglycemia brought on by exercise
- The relation of hypoglycemia and anxiety, anemia and dehydration
- Aspects of feline hypoglycemia
1. Hypoglycemia Without Diabetes: Symptoms & Treatment
Hypoglycemia is also known as low blood sugar. It can occur in those with our without diabetes. This lesson will discuss the symptoms and treatment of hypoglycemia without diabetes.
2. Hypoglycemia vs. Diabetes
This lesson goes over two seemingly contradictory scenarios: hypoglycemia and diabetes. First, you'll learn what they are and then you'll learn how they might be related.
3. Hypoglycemia Without Diabetes: Causes & Testing
Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, is a condition often associated with diabetes. However, this phenomenon can also occur for various other reasons outside of diabetes. This lesson will review some of the most common reasons hypoglycemia can occur without diabetes.
4. Hypoglycemia Without Diabetes: Children vs. Adults
Many people are familiar with diabetes and high blood sugars. Low blood sugars in people without diabetes is less common. In this lesson, we will learn about how our body manages blood sugars and about non-diabetic hypoglycemia.
5. What is a Hypoglycemic Episode? - Causes & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll define what a hypoglycemic episode is and discuss what causes hypoglycemic episodes. We will also examine how hypoglycemic episodes are treated.
6. Anemia vs. Hypoglycemia
Fatigued? Have pale skin? Think you know what this is caused by? Read this lesson for the differences and similarities between two very different medical states, anemia and hypoglycemia, and you'll find out.
7. Hypoglycemia & Anxiety
Hypoglycemia and anxiety can cause devastating effects on the human body. Read this lesson to learn more about hypoglycemia and how it can impact a person's level of anxiety.
8. Hyperglycemia: Complications & Consequences
In this lesson we'll be exploring what happens to the body during hyperglycemia. Here, you'll find out how hyperglycemia relates to diabetes and its consequences for different organ systems, such as the kidney, liver and brain.
9. Dehydration & Hyperglycemia
Dehydration and hyperglycemia have an interesting cause and consequence relationship in which dehydration is both the contributor to and the symptom of hyperglycemia. Learn more about it and how to deal with this.
10. Diabetes vs. Hyperglycemia
Sometimes the terms diabetes and hyperglycemia are used interchangeably, but the diseases have key aspects that make them different from one another. Read this lesson to learn what sets them apart.
11. Exercise Induced Hyperglycemia: Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson exercise-induced hyperglycemia will be discussed. The lesson will go over what exercise-induced hyperglycemia is, what symptoms may be present, and how it is diagnosed. Treatment options will also be discussed.
12. Feline Hypoglycemia: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Humans are not the only ones to get hypoglycemia. Cats can too! The term feline hypoglycemia is known as low blood sugar in cats. This lesson discusses the causes, symptoms, and treatment of feline hypoglycemia.
13. Fibromyalgia & Hypoglycemia
In this lesson, you will learn about a couple conditions called fibromyalgia and hypoglycemia. You'll also learn about the connection between the two conditions.
14. Gestational Diabetes & Hypoglycemia
Gestational diabetes refers to a higher than normal blood sugar during pregnancy. How does this condition then lead to hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar? Read this lesson to find out!
15. Hyperglycemia vs. Hypoglycemia
This lesson goes over two polar opposites that can both have the same end result if not taken care of: death. They are hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia. Find out their definitions, causes, and symptoms.
16. Hyperglycemia in Children: Causes, Signs & Symptoms
Hyperglycemia can tremendously affect the future health of children worldwide. Read this lesson to learn what hyperglycemia is, its signs and symptoms, and major causes of this condition.
17. Hyperglycemia During Pregnancy: Causes & Effects
Hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar, can be a challenge during pregnancy. Read this lesson to learn more about the causes and effects of hyperglycemia during pregnancy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health and Wellness course