About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the chapter summaries of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about each chapter of this autobiography. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding each chapter of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about each chapter of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Maya Angelou's poetry and autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Summary and analysis of each chapter of this novel
1. Maya Angelou: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and Poetry
'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' is the autobiography of American poet Maya Angelou. While the story is often difficult to read, it shows how a strong person can overcome difficult obstacles and achieve great things. Learn more about the inspiring life story of one of the country's greatest writers.
2. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 1-2: Summary & Analysis
Maya Angelou's autobiographical novel illustrates the struggle of Southern blacks. The story is told from the perspective of a young girl coming to terms with both the tremendous racial bias in America, and the prejudices that she faces with her own race in her own community.
3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 3-5: Summary & Analysis
Marguerite and Bailey struggle to find their place in the Deep South. Though racism affects both their lives, it cuts deepest for the ugly, awkward Marguerite. This lesson will look at chapters 3-5 of 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.'
4. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 6-10: Summary & Analysis
In this section of Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, a reverend gets his teeth knocked out during a church sermon, and the reader learns how Marguerite got the name Maya. The children also make a move to St. Louis to live with their mother.
5. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 11-15: Summary & Analysis
A ferocious event snatches the joy from young Marguerite's life in St. Louis, which ultimately leads to a murder and her and her brother's relocation back to Stamps, Arkansas. Back in Stamps, though, Marguerite (called ~'Maya~' for short) meets her saving grace.
6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 16-19: Summary & Analysis
Maya Angelou's 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' is a powerful memoir. Chapters 16 through 19 display a range of emotions ranging from anger to faith and hope for a better future. These chapters present a sense of the daily hardships faced by African Americans.
7. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 20-22: Summary & Analysis
If you are reading ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'' by Maya Angelou, you might find it tough to keep all the events straight. In this lesson, we will take a look at the important parts of chapters 20 through 22.
8. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 23-26: Summary & Analysis
If you are reading Maya Angelou's ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'' you might be curious what the most important events from Chapters 23 through 26 are. In this lesson, we will go over these chapters. Read on to find out more.
9. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 27-31: Summary & Analysis
Maya Angelou's ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'' is chalk full of interesting events and complicated emotions all driven by the young narrator. In this lesson, we will break down some of those complications with a summary and analysis of chapters 27 through 31 of the book.
10. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 31-33: Summary & Analysis
Arguments lead to physical altercations in this section of ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings''. Marguerite finds herself at odds with her father's lover, and Bailey's reluctance to obey his mother force his transition into adulthood.
11. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Ch. 34-36: Summary & Analysis
In the final chapters of ''I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'', Marguerite is eager to become an adult. She gets a job that no Black had ever been able to get. She also gets pregnant after propositioning a neighborhood boy for sex.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Study Guide course