About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other college algebra work.
- Identify the aspects of working with functions that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our College Algebra Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about identifying and working with functions and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding transformations, inverse functions and how to apply function operations or any other aspect of identifying and working with functions
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their identifying and working with functions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in college algebra
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about identifying and working with functions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about identifying and working with functions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Find out how to identify functions and use function notation.
- Learn how to shift graphs on a plane.
- Discover domain and range in a function.
- Review how to add, subtract, multiply and divide functions.
- Explore how to compose functions.
- Find out about inverse functions.
1. Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
A function is simply a rule that takes one number and turns it into another. But some special conditions must apply for it to be a true mathematical function. Learn about those conditions and how we write functions here!
2. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
3. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
4. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
5. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Tutoring Solution course
- Overview of Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Solving Matrices and Absolute Value: Tutoring Solution
- Overview of Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics: Tutoring Solution
- Imaginary and Complex Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Exponents and Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Solving Exponentials and Logarithms: Tutoring Solution
- Factorials and Binomial Theorem: Tutoring Solution
- Calculating Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution