About This Chapter
Identifying Errors in Writing - Chapter Summary
Whether you're a beginner or expert at identifying errors in writing, this self-paced chapter can improve your knowledge and abilities. Entertaining video lessons delve into the ways you can identify errors in verb tense, adjectives, pronouns and more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Pinpoint errors in adverbs, nouns and agreement
- Locate errors in correlation, parallelism and comparison
- Recognize errors in subordination and coordination
- Identify wrong word use and subject-verb agreement errors
- Find errors in agreement for pronouns and nouns
- Pinpoint errors in verb tense, singular pronouns and plural pronouns
Get started by choosing the lessons you want to study and reviewing them as videos or full transcripts. Quickly and easily revisit key topics within the lessons by using the clickable timelines located below the videos. Before, during or after examining each lesson, feel free to take its accompanying quiz to check your understanding of its contents. A practice exam is available to gauge your overall ability to identify errors in writing.
1. How to Identify Errors in Adjectives, Adverbs, Nouns & Agreement
All sentences must have agreement. But what does that mean? How do you make words agree? Watch this video lesson to learn the answers to all your questions on agreement.
2. How to Identify Errors in Comparison, Correlation & Parallelism
Ever write something that sounded just a bit off? You might be making simple errors with comparison, correlation and parallelism. Watch this video lesson to learn about these concepts and how to avoid misusing them.
3. How to Identify Errors in Coordination & Subordination
Watch this video lesson to learn how to expand the sentences in your writing to create much more complex works using two methods: subordination and coordination.
4. How to Identify Wrong Word Use
Words are constantly being used incorrectly. Not sure if a word you used in your writing is correct? Watch this video lesson to learn three ways to identify errors in word use.
5. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
6. Identifying Errors in Agreement for Nouns & Pronouns
Agreement does not just mean sharing the same opinion. In grammar, agreement means so much more. Watch this video lesson to learn how agreement works in our sentences.
7. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
8. Identifying Errors of Singular and Plural Pronouns
It's sometimes not completely clear at first whether a singular or plural pronoun is necessary in a sentence. This lesson covers those confusing situations and explains how to be sure that you're using the right pronoun.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Essential Academic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- Sentence Types & Their Structures
- Grammar Conventions in Writing
- Basic Writing Mechanics
- Word Meanings & Figurative Language
- Word & Sentence Choice
- Components of an Essay
- Developing & Organizing Essays
- Developing Reading Comprehension Skills
- Identifying the Main Idea & Purpose of Written Works
- Analyzing, Interpreting & Evaluating Reasoning
- Organizing Information Using Written & Graphic Forms
- Basic Number Structure
- Basic Number Operations
- Overview of Math Properties
- Concept of Equality in Math
- Understanding Operations with Fractions
- Understanding Operations with Decimals
- Understanding Operations with Percents
- Overview of Ratios, Proportions & Rate of Change
- Understanding Exponents & Scientific Notation
- Principles of Algebra
- Methods for Solving Algebraic Equations
- Understanding & Solving Linear Equations
- Graphing Points, Lines & Functions
- Understanding the Properties of Functions
- Rules of Measurements
- Principles of Geometry
- Understanding Geometric Shapes & Their Properties
- Overview of Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Pythagorean Theorem & Right Triangles
- Using Different Types of Data
- Visual Depictions of Data
- Summarizing Data Sets
- Probability & Statistics Basics
- Using Logic in Math
- Methods for Solving Math Word Problems
- AEPA Essential Academic Skills Flashcards