About This Chapter
Identifying Real Numbers - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Dig into algebra by taking a look at various types of numbers. Learn how to identify and graph numbers, as well as find the absolute value and relationships between them. Our brief video lessons are fun to watch and come with transcripts and quizzes. As you near the end of this chapter, you should be well-versed in the following:
- Graphs for rational numbers
- Absolute values of real numbers
- Transcendental and algebraic numbers
- Pythagorean triples
|What are the Different Types of Numbers?||Explore natural, whole, rational, irrational and real numbers, in addition to integers.|
|Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line||Learn the strategies for graphing rational numbers.|
|Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals||Find out how fractions, decimals and rational numbers are related.|
|The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities||Review the concept of inequalities and the symbols that represent them.|
|Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number||Study real numbers and the methods for finding their absolute values.|
|How to Rationalize the Denominator with a Radical Expression||Understand irrational denominators and learn how to simplify their expressions.|
|Algebraic Numbers and Transcendental Numbers||Familiarize yourself with common transcendental numbers like pi and e.|
|Understanding Numbers That Are Pythagorean Triples||Find out about these special numbers and how they're related to triangles.|
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
4. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
5. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
6. How to Rationalize the Denominator with a Radical Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn what you can do to simplify your expression when you have a radical in the denominator. Learn what the single step solution to your problem is.
7. Algebraic Numbers and Transcendental Numbers
Math is all about numbers. In this lesson, you'll learn about the two different categories of numbers, called algebraic and transcendental. You'll learn the definition of each type and find out how common each of them is.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra 2 and Trig Textbook course
- Complex Numbers
- Absolute Value Review
- Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Calculating Rational Expressions
- Working with Linear Equations
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- Graphing & Working with Trigonometric Functions
- Graph Symmetry
- Graphing with Functions
- Solving Linear Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Polynomials
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Square Roots & Radical Expressions
- Quadratic Equations & Formulas
- Factoring & Graphing Quadratic Equations
- Conic Sections: Ellipses, Circles, Hyperbolas & Parabolas
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences & Series
- Calculating & Presenting Statistics
- Combinatorics & Probability
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Trigonometric Applications
- Solving Trigonometric Equations
- Trigonometric Identities
- Circles, Angles & Circular Arcs