About This Chapter
Identifying & Understanding Words - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter focuses on methods for helping students understand the definition and context of words. Instructors discuss topics like comprehension strategies, cueing systems and reading activities. These lessons teach things such as:
- The difference between graphic and semantic cues
- Ways to teach vocabulary words
- Examples of high frequency words
- Tips for finding out the meaning of a word using its context
- Reading comprehension methods
|Cueing Systems: Graphic, Syntactic & Semantic||Compare and contrast the different types of cueing systems.|
|Familiarizing Students with High Frequency Words||Learn about the common activities used for helping students remember high frequency words.|
|How to Teach Vocabulary Words||Explore techniques for learning vocabulary words.|
|How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words||Learn how to define a word through its context.|
|Comprehension Monitoring Strategies||Examine the strategies used to ensure that students recognize and comprehend words.|
|Choral Reading, Repeated Reading & Assisted Reading: Definition & Activities||Discover the reading methods of assisted, choral and repeated.|
1. Cueing Systems: Graphic, Syntactic & Semantic
What happens when you're reading, and you come across an unfamiliar word? In this lesson, we'll explore the three major cueing systems for reading: graphic, syntactic, and semantic. We'll also discuss activities to teach each system.
2. Familiarizing Students with High Frequency Words
Watch this video lesson to learn what you as an educator can do to help students learn to read with confidence. Learn why learning the high frequency words is beneficial, if not crucial, to becoming a competent reader.
3. How to Teach Vocabulary Words
Without a rich vocabulary, students have little foundation to understand what they are reading. This lesson highlights vocabulary strategies that can be used to develop student vocabulary skills in elementary, middle and high school.
4. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
5. Comprehension Monitoring Strategies
There's much more to reading than simply sounding out words. Novice readers must also learn how to self-monitor for comprehension. Today's lesson takes a look at how the use of pausing, self-questioning, and self-diagnosis can help them in this process.
6. Choral Reading, Repeated Reading & Assisted Reading: Definition & Activities
Hearing what you're reading and reading can help readers build fluency and accuracy in their reading. In this lesson, we'll look at three audio reading activities for classroom use: choral reading, repeated reading, and audio-assisted reading.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 102: Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School course
- Learning Processes & Theories
- Instructional Approaches
- Language Acquisition in the Classroom
- Beyond Oral Language Acquisition
- How Language & Culture Interact in the Classroom
- Strategies for Teaching Reading
- Constructing Meaning
- Vocabulary Development
- Writing Development
- Approaches to Literacy Instruction
- Classroom Management for Literacy Instruction
- Selecting Resources for Literacy Instruction
- Responding to Student Needs
- Collaborations Outside of School
- Evaluation & Assessments in Education