About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Identifying Usage Errors in 9th Grade chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors||Techniques for creating subject-verb agreement in basic sentences|
|Tuesday||Subject-Verb Agreement, Prepositional Phrases and Indefinite Pronouns||Understanding the use of prepositional phrases and indefinite pronouns|
|Wednesday||Identifying Errors of Verb Tense||Distinguishing between six verb tenses|
|Thursday||Identifying Errors of Verb Tense||Proofreading your essay for verb-tense shift errors|
|Friday||Identifying Errors of Singular and Plural Pronouns||The correct use of pronouns, personal pronouns and indefinite pronouns|
1. Identifying Errors of Singular and Plural Pronouns
It's sometimes not completely clear at first whether a singular or plural pronoun is necessary in a sentence. This lesson covers those confusing situations and explains how to be sure that you're using the right pronoun.
2. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
3. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- American Novels for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Usage Conventions in 9th Grade Writing Lesson Plans
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Prose Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Essay Basics Lesson Plans
- Literary Terms for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Dramatic Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Introduction to High School Writing Lesson Plans
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Text Analysis & Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Poetry for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Drama for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- British Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Capitalization & Spelling for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Elements of Grammar for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Punctuation in Writing for 9th Grade Lesson Plans