About This Chapter
IELTS Reading Tasks - Chapter Summary
These lessons will prepare you to process informational texts and properly interpret them. You will learn useful skills to increase reading comprehension and on writing different types of essays. The videos help you practice:
- Understanding common organizational features of informational texts
- Using test-taking strategies to achieve a better score on multiple-choice and true/false questions
- Identifying important textual evidence and using it in your arguments
- Summarizing key points from a text
- Synthesizing information from a text into a descriptive or argumentative essay
The lessons will show you effective ways to read, interpret and coherently argue your points. By following the advice in these lessons and completing the end-of-lesson quizzes, you will prepare yourself to achieve a deeper understanding of complex texts.
1. IELTS Academic Reading: Format & Question Types
The Reading portion of the IELTS Academic utilizes 11 different types of questions. Read on to learn more about each of these question types, and find out about the format of the test itself.
2. Strategy for Multiple Choice Questions
When taking a multiple-choice test, the most important thing is to know the content covered on the exam. But beyond that, there are certain things you can do to increase your chances of passing. Watch this lesson for strategies for multiple-choice tests.
3. Test Taking Strategies: True/False, Short Answer & Essay
Do you struggle on tests? Do you always seem to miss questions you think you know? If so, then read this lesson to gain tips on answering true-false, short answer, and essay questions.
4. Organizational Features & Structures of Informational Texts
How do authors make informational texts easier to read for their audience? This lesson explains the different types of organizational structures and text structures that can be used in an informational text.
5. Textual Evidence & Interpreting an Informational Text
In this lesson, we will explore informational texts. Along the way, we will discover a few tips to make reading this type of text easier, and we will pay special attention to textual evidence.
6. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
7. Argumentative Essay: Definition, Format & Examples
Argumentative essays are kind of like superpowers: they allow you to get what you want using the superpower of persuasion. View this lesson and learn how to channel persuasion to write a good essay.
8. How to Use and Interpret Hyphenation Conventions
In this lesson, we will define hyphens, discuss the rules for using a hyphen correctly, and then explain why a hyphen is important for clarity in your writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IELTS Academic: Practice & Study Guide course