About This Chapter
IELTS Speaking Section - Chapter Summary
This chapter can effectively boost your knowledge as you prepare to take the speaking section of the IELTS Academic exam. Engaging articles explore different parts of the speaking section, and short lessons improve your understanding of the concepts you will be expected to grasp. Completing this chapter will help you:
- Understand the structure and scoring of the three parts of the speaking section
- Feel confident that you can complete the interview in Part 1 of the test
- Speak at length with the examiner in Part 2 of the speaking section
- Take notes for the IELTS long turn speaking task
- Discuss an issue in Part 3 of the exam
- Pace yourself and manage mistakes when speaking
- Pinpoint and correct errors in your speaking
- Organize information for your speech
Navigate the lessons and articles in any sequence you'd like, and revisit them as often as needed to improve your knowledge and readiness to take the speaking section of the exam. If you develop questions about topics covered in the articles and lessons, be sure to send them to our experts via the Dashboard. All resources in the chapter are available around the clock, enabling you to study whenever your schedule permits. Access them using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection.
1. IELTS Speaking Section: Structure & Scoring
The Speaking section of the IELTS measures a candidate's oral mastery of the English language. Learn more about how this portion of the exam is structured and graded by examiners.
2. IELTS Speaking Section - Part 1: Examiner Introduction & Interview
The IELTS is an assessment used to evaluate an individual's command of the English language, and it includes a Speaking portion that is divided into three parts. Read on to find out more about the content, structure, and grading system used in Part 1 of this section.
3. IELTS Speaking Section - Part 2: Long Turn Speaking
Part 2 of the IELTS Speaking section is a challenging test of a student's ability to form and express cohesive thoughts and arguments. Read on for more information about the structure and scoring for this part of the test.
4. How to Take Notes for the IELTS Long Turn Speaking Task
Part 2 of the IELTS Speaking section requires candidates to speak at length about a selected topic. Read on for a detailed look at how to best prepare for this challenging portion of the exam.
5. IELTS Speaking Section - Part 3: Discussing an Issue
In Part 3 of the IELTS Speaking, a test taker must discuss an issue with the examiner. Learn more about Part 3 of the test, and pick up some tips on how to prepare for it.
6. How to Pace Yourself When Speaking
It's perfectly normal to start talking faster when you're nervous, but it does make you harder to understand. Here's how to get it under control and maintain a regular speaking pace.
7. Managing Mistakes While Speaking
Do you get tongue-tied while you're speaking? Does one small mistake throw you completely off your game? Learn some strategies for managing your mistakes in the moment and getting back on track in this lesson.
8. Identifying & Correcting Errors in Your Own Speaking
It's not always easy to hear mistakes in your own speaking. In this lesson, you'll get some tips and advice for improving your own spoken English even if you don't have anyone else to practice with.
9. Speech Organization: Importance to Speaker & Audience
In speech writing, it is important to keep the information organized, which demonstrates credibility and makes the speech easier to comprehend. It starts with the main idea, the speech body and a compelling conclusion.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IELTS Academic: Practice & Study Guide course