About This Chapter
Illinois Learning Standards - Chapter Summary
In this engaging chapter, our instructors outline the learning standards used in the state of Illinois. You'll also review Common Core standards and how they relate to English as a second language programs. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Explain Illinois Common Core standards
- Detail the Illinois ELA Common Core standards
- Discuss math standards for the Common Core in Illinois
- Understand the Illinois Common Core science standards
- Identify the Common Core social studies standards for Illinois schools
We've made it easy to refresh your understanding of these topics or learn something new with this mobile-friendly chapter. You can access our lessons and quizzes from any mobile device or computer 24 hours a day. Short quizzes can be found at the end of each lesson to test your comprehension. You're welcome to reach out to one of our instructors for help if needed.
1. Common Core Standards & ESL
How do the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) affect students in English as a Second Language (ESL) classrooms? This lesson answers this question and overviews programs and supports for ESL teachers to help their ESL students meet the CCSS.
2. Illinois Common Core Standards
While the Common Core Standards are meant to provide a degree of uniformity and structure in every student's education, that doesn't mean each state is bound to implement them in the exact same way. Read on to learn how Illinois approaches the Common Core Standards.
3. ELA Common Core Standards in Illinois
The Common Core standards for English language arts provide an outline for consistent education across the country and have been adopted by Illinois. Continue reading to learn what's included in the Common Core standards and find out how they're being implemented in this state.
4. Illinois Common Core Math Standards
Learn more about the common core standards for math in Illinois. Continue reading to find out more information about these standards by varying grade levels, and become familiar with resources for students to review their math concepts.
5. Illinois Common Core Science Standards
The Illinois State Board of Education recently adopted the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for all K-12 science education. Read on the learn about these new standards and what the standards mean for Illinois science teachers.
6. Illinois Common Core Social Studies Standards
Social studies provide students with a broad look into the world of human interaction and helps develop important skills. While the Common Core doesn't encompass social studies in Illinois, the state's standards provide pivotal structure to its social studies programs. Read on to learn more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS English as a New Language (125): Practice & Study Guide course
- Linguistics for Second Language Learners
- Language Acquisition Overview
- Learning Theory, Styles & Development
- ELL Teaching & Learning Theories
- Developing Inclusive Learning Environments
- Teaching Students with Diverse Needs
- Curriculum Development Overview for ELL Teaching
- ELL Instructional Strategies
- Student Motivation & Engagement
- Classroom & Group Management
- Classroom Communication Techniques
- Using Technology for Teaching ELL
- Types of ELL Student Assessment
- Analyzing & Interpreting ELL Student Assessment
- ELL Teachers as Student Advocates
- School Collaboration & Community Building for ELL Teachers
- Professional Development & Reflective Practice
- ILTS English as a New Language Flashcards