About This Chapter
ILTS Biology: Biological Evolution - Chapter Summary
Let us aid in your preparation for the ILTS Biology exam with this chapter's lessons on topics related to evolutionary theory, classification of living organisms and speciation. Subjects explored in this chapter include:
- Evolutionary theory and evidence supporting it
- How organisms are classified through taxonomy
- The use of taxonomic keys
- The Hardy-Weinberg equation
- Adaptation and natural selection
- Types of speciation
- Genetic variability
- Random mutation
Our instructors have created short, entertaining video lessons that reinforce your understanding of information that will be featured on the ILTS Biology exam. Every lesson includes video tags that allow you to jump back to specific parts of the video without having to re-watch the whole lesson. Lesson quizzes and a chapter exam let you evaluate your knowledge, and there's even a sheet of questions you can print out for offline study.
ILTS Biology: Biological Evolution Chapter Objectives
In Illinois, passing the ILTS Biology exam is one of the requirements for certification to teach the subject. The exam's questions are divided into six subareas. Questions on the material this chapter discusses are in the Cell Biology, Heredity and Evolution subarea.
Like the exam, our lesson quizzes consist of multiple-choice questions. In addition to providing practice answering questions in this format, the quizzes show you where your knowledge may be lacking, giving you a head's up on where to put in some extra review before exam day.
1. Evolution Theory, Evidence & Rates
This lesson will briefly introduce the theory of evolution, discuss a few pieces of evidence supporting the theory of evolution, and discuss the rates of evolution.
2. Classification Systems: Classical Taxonomy, Phenetics & Cladistics
How do we begin to sort out the millions of species on Earth? In this lesson, we will explore three of the most common classification systems used by modern science. Then, you will be able to test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
4. Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium: Definition, Equation & Evolutionary Agents
In this lesson we will define Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium and break down the Hardy-Weinberg equation to figure out if a population of hypothetical beetles is evolving.
5. Natural Selection & Adaptation Processes
Through the process of adaptation, natural selection shapes the variety of life that exists around us. This lesson will explore some of the ways this process can take place.
6. Overview of Speciation Types & Barriers
Have you ever wondered how a new species arises? This lesson will examine speciation, or when a new species forms, as well as barriers that prevent separate species from mating.
7. Genetic Variability and Random Mutation
Evolution is driven by variation among populations. The amount of variability determines how well a population can adapt to environmental changes, while random mutations can provide new variations that help a population adapt to unexpected changes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Biology (105): Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Biology: Scientific Inquiry & Research Methods
- ILTS Biology: Measurement & Observation
- ILTS Biology: Biology Lab
- ILTS Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- ILTS Biology: Diversity of Life
- ILTS Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- ILTS Biology: Plant Cells
- ILTS Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- ILTS Biology: Plant Anatomy & Physiology
- ILTS Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- ILTS Biology: Social Behavior of Animals
- ILTS Biology: Major Human Body Systems
- ILTS Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- ILTS Biology: Reproduction & Development
- ILTS Biology: Properties of Matter
- ILTS Biology: Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids
- ILTS Biology: Atomic Structure
- ILTS Biology: The Periodic Table of Elements
- ILTS Biology: Bonding
- ILTS Biology: Acids, Bases & Chemical Reactions
- ILTS Biology: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- ILTS Biology: Equilibrium
- ILTS Biology: Solutions
- ILTS Biology: Gases
- ILTS Biology: Kinematics
- ILTS Biology: Newton's Laws & Motion
- ILTS Biology: Linear & Angular Momentum
- ILTS Biology: Direct Current Circuits
- ILTS Biology: Work, Energy & Power
- ILTS Biology: Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics
- ILTS Biology: Atomic, Nuclear & Quantum Physics
- ILTS Biology: Kinetics
- ILTS Biology: Magnetism
- ILTS Biology: Waves, Sound & Light
- ILTS Biology: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- ILTS Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- ILTS Biology: Minerals & Rocks
- ILTS Biology: Changing Earth's Surfaces
- ILTS Biology: Geologic Time
- ILTS Biology: The Hydrosphere
- ILTS Biology: The Solar System & the Universe
- ILTS Biology: Atmospheric Science
- ILTS Biology: Weather & Storms
- ILTS Biology: Cell Biology
- ILTS Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- ILTS Biology: Cell Communication
- ILTS Biology: Inorganic Chemistry
- ILTS Biology: Organic Compounds
- ILTS Biology: Nucleic Acids
- ILTS Biology: Enzymes
- ILTS Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- ILTS Biology: DNA Replication
- ILTS Biology: DNA Transcription & Translation
- ILTS Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Mutations
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- ILTS Science - Biology Flashcards