About This Chapter
ILTS Biology: Reproduction and Development - Chapter Summary
As you study for the ILTS Biology exam, this chapter's lessons can aid in your review of the reproduction of animals and humans as well as some other physiological processes. Our videos cover concepts such as:
- Fundamentals of animal reproduction and development
- Differences in embryonic development in vertebrates and invertebrates
- Life cycles of vertebrates and invertebrates
- The male and female reproductive systems
- Applying knowledge of the reproductive system in females
- The ovarian cycle
- Key physiological processes, such as respiration, in animals
Our study guide offers a variety of tools to help you review for the ILTS Biology exam. You can watch these short video lessons anytime on a computer or mobile device, and test your learning with the lesson quizzes or a comprehensive chapter exam. A clickable timeline lets you jump right to a specific part of the lesson you need to re-visit, and a written lesson transcript has key terms and topics highlighted.
ILTS Biology: Reproduction and Development Chapter Objectives
Illinois has made passing the ILTS Biology exam one of its requirements for certification to teach the subject. The exam contains six subareas, and questions on the material in the Reproduction and Development chapter are part of the life science subarea of the computer-based exam.
Each of the 125 exam questions is in multiple-choice form, and the questions on our lesson quizzes are, too. In addition to giving you a feel for the types of questions that will be on the ILTS exam, the quizzes ensure that you remember the fundamentals of the chapter.
1. Overview of Animal Reproduction and Development
At this stage in life, you likely know where babies come from. However, did you know that some animals can make clones of themselves and reproduce sexually too? In this lesson, you'll learn more about sexual reproduction and early vertebrate development.
2. Embryonic Development & Life Cycles of Invertebrates & Vertebrates
In this lesson we will compare and contrast the embryonic development and life cycles of vertebrates and invertebrates. You'll learn how they are similar and how they are different, and view examples.
3. The Male Reproductive System: Function & Parts
Did you know that inside every guy is a factory? That's right - a sperm making factory! Learn about all the different parts of this factory in this lesson on the male reproductive system.
4. The Female Reproductive System: Functions & Parts
You know the saying. . . men are from Mars, women are from Venus. We all know that men and women think differently, and we all know that we look different on the outside, but do you know what we look like on the inside?
5. The Ovarian Cycle: Anatomy & Processes
The process of ovulation has many different components leading to the release of an egg. Here, we will examine the anatomy and steps of the ovarian cycle in humans. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
6. The Significance of Physiological Processes in Animals
Physiology is the study of how living organisms function. Looking at this through an organ-system view, we can see how animals evolved different ways of functioning for their particular habitats.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Biology (105): Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Biology: Scientific Inquiry & Research Methods
- ILTS Biology: Measurement & Observation
- ILTS Biology: Biology Lab
- ILTS Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- ILTS Biology: Biological Evolution
- ILTS Biology: Diversity of Life
- ILTS Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- ILTS Biology: Plant Cells
- ILTS Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- ILTS Biology: Plant Anatomy & Physiology
- ILTS Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- ILTS Biology: Social Behavior of Animals
- ILTS Biology: Major Human Body Systems
- ILTS Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- ILTS Biology: Properties of Matter
- ILTS Biology: Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids
- ILTS Biology: Atomic Structure
- ILTS Biology: The Periodic Table of Elements
- ILTS Biology: Bonding
- ILTS Biology: Acids, Bases & Chemical Reactions
- ILTS Biology: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- ILTS Biology: Equilibrium
- ILTS Biology: Solutions
- ILTS Biology: Gases
- ILTS Biology: Kinematics
- ILTS Biology: Newton's Laws & Motion
- ILTS Biology: Linear & Angular Momentum
- ILTS Biology: Direct Current Circuits
- ILTS Biology: Work, Energy & Power
- ILTS Biology: Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics
- ILTS Biology: Atomic, Nuclear & Quantum Physics
- ILTS Biology: Kinetics
- ILTS Biology: Magnetism
- ILTS Biology: Waves, Sound & Light
- ILTS Biology: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- ILTS Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- ILTS Biology: Minerals & Rocks
- ILTS Biology: Changing Earth's Surfaces
- ILTS Biology: Geologic Time
- ILTS Biology: The Hydrosphere
- ILTS Biology: The Solar System & the Universe
- ILTS Biology: Atmospheric Science
- ILTS Biology: Weather & Storms
- ILTS Biology: Cell Biology
- ILTS Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- ILTS Biology: Cell Communication
- ILTS Biology: Inorganic Chemistry
- ILTS Biology: Organic Compounds
- ILTS Biology: Nucleic Acids
- ILTS Biology: Enzymes
- ILTS Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- ILTS Biology: DNA Replication
- ILTS Biology: DNA Transcription & Translation
- ILTS Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Mutations
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- ILTS Science - Biology Flashcards