About This Chapter
ILTS Biology: Scientific Inquiry & Research Methods - Chapter Summary
Watch this chapter's lessons to review information on scientific research methods, experimental design and scientific notation as you study for the ILTS Biology exam. Our videos examine concepts that include:
- Scientific principles and concepts
- Definition of scientific research
- Steps in the scientific method
- Experimental design
- Qualitative and quantitative data
- How to interpret graphical depictions of data
- Ways to assess a study's validity
- Important events in the history of biological study
Our instructors have designed online lessons aimed at helping you succeed on the ILTS Biology exam. These lessons are available anytime you have a few minutes to devote to study. Clickable timelines let you return to specific points in the video, and you can read along through the written transcripts which highlight important topics and terms.
ILTS Biology: Scientific Inquiry & Research Methods Chapter Objectives
In Illinois, the ILTS Biology test is required for certification to teach the subject. The exam is divided into six subareas, and the topics in the Scientific Inquiry and Research Methods chapter are reflected in the Science and Technology subarea of the test.
Our lesson quizzes and chapter exam let you assess your learning prior to test day, showing you where you need additional study. These tests contain multiple-choice items like the ILTS exam does, so they give you a feel for the types of questions you'll encounter.
1. The Nature of Science
This lesson will explore the basic nature of science. It will distinguish science from pseudoscience and hypothesis from theory and natural law; it will give plenty of examples of each.
2. What is Scientific Research?
This lesson will discuss important components of scientific research, including the scientific method, peer review, statistical significance, and more!
3. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
4. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
5. Qualitative vs. Quantitative Data in Various Research Methods
Qualitative data and quantitative data are both useful in research, but it is important to understand the differences between the two. Learn how to differentiate the two types of data in this lesson.
6. How to Interpret Tables, Graphs & Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
In this lesson, we will look at some practice problems involving tables, graph, and charts. We will specifically look at x- and y-axis graphs, pie charts, and bar graphs.
7. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
8. Validity and Reliability: How to Assess the Quality of a Research Study
Many psychologists and teachers complete research studies. How can you tell if a study was done well? This lesson will cover many criteria for a good quality study, including types of reliability and validity.
9. Key Events in the History of Biological Study
The study of living things has a rich and exciting history. Here we will examine some of the key events in the history of biological study, their significance to the field, and the impacts of biological discoveries on humankind. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Biology (105): Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Biology: Measurement & Observation
- ILTS Biology: Biology Lab
- ILTS Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- ILTS Biology: Biological Evolution
- ILTS Biology: Diversity of Life
- ILTS Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- ILTS Biology: Plant Cells
- ILTS Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- ILTS Biology: Plant Anatomy & Physiology
- ILTS Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- ILTS Biology: Social Behavior of Animals
- ILTS Biology: Major Human Body Systems
- ILTS Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- ILTS Biology: Reproduction & Development
- ILTS Biology: Properties of Matter
- ILTS Biology: Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids
- ILTS Biology: Atomic Structure
- ILTS Biology: The Periodic Table of Elements
- ILTS Biology: Bonding
- ILTS Biology: Acids, Bases & Chemical Reactions
- ILTS Biology: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- ILTS Biology: Equilibrium
- ILTS Biology: Solutions
- ILTS Biology: Gases
- ILTS Biology: Kinematics
- ILTS Biology: Newton's Laws & Motion
- ILTS Biology: Linear & Angular Momentum
- ILTS Biology: Direct Current Circuits
- ILTS Biology: Work, Energy & Power
- ILTS Biology: Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics
- ILTS Biology: Atomic, Nuclear & Quantum Physics
- ILTS Biology: Kinetics
- ILTS Biology: Magnetism
- ILTS Biology: Waves, Sound & Light
- ILTS Biology: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- ILTS Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- ILTS Biology: Minerals & Rocks
- ILTS Biology: Changing Earth's Surfaces
- ILTS Biology: Geologic Time
- ILTS Biology: The Hydrosphere
- ILTS Biology: The Solar System & the Universe
- ILTS Biology: Atmospheric Science
- ILTS Biology: Weather & Storms
- ILTS Biology: Cell Biology
- ILTS Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- ILTS Biology: Cell Communication
- ILTS Biology: Inorganic Chemistry
- ILTS Biology: Organic Compounds
- ILTS Biology: Nucleic Acids
- ILTS Biology: Enzymes
- ILTS Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- ILTS Biology: DNA Replication
- ILTS Biology: DNA Transcription & Translation
- ILTS Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Mutations
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- ILTS Science - Biology Flashcards