About This Chapter
ILTS Biology: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter as tools to help you study for the ILTS Biology exam. Refresh your understanding of stoichiometry, chemical reactions, balancing chemical equations and other calculations. Topics this chapter include:
- How to balance chemical reactions
- Mole-to-mole ratios and mass-to-mass stoichiometric calculations
- How to calculate chemical equations
- How to calculate excess reactants
- How to calculate reaction yield and percentage yield from a limiting reactant
- How to calculate percent composition and determine empirical formulas
- Hydrates and the process of determining the chemical formula from empirical data
Our short video lessons are available anytime on a computer or mobile device. They are accompanied by text transcripts with key terms and concepts highlighted. They also include a timeline with video tags that let you jump back to key points in the lesson you want to review.
ILTS Biology: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations Chapter Objectives
Illinois uses the ILTS Biology test to assess the knowledge of candidates for teacher certification in the subject. The exam's 125 multiple-choice questions are divided into six subareas. Questions on the material in this Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations chapter are part of the physical science subarea.
Each of our lessons is followed by a short multiple-choice quiz. Completing this quiz will let you evaluate your learning and also get experience answering questions in a format like you'll encounter on the exam.
1. Chemical Reactions and Balancing Chemical Equations
In this lesson, you'll learn how to balance a chemical reaction equation using the conservation of matter law. You'll also learn how to write both word and formula equations, what the subscripts after a letter mean and what the numbers in front of compounds mean.
2. Mole-to-Mole Ratios and Calculations of a Chemical Equation
Learn what a mole ratio is and how to determine and write the mole ratio relating two substances in a chemical equation in this video lesson. Also, learn to make mole-to-mole calculations and solve problems involving moles of substances.
3. Mass-to-Mass Stoichiometric Calculations
Learn how to set up and make mole to mass, mass to mole and mass to mass stoichiometric calculations. Learn how the ratios of moles helps you compare and make calculations. Learn how to relate mole ratios to molar mass.
4. Stoichiometry: Calculating Relative Quantities in a Gas or Solution
In this lesson, learn about molar volume and how to set up and make stoichiometric calculations with gases. Then learn about solution stoichiometry and how to make stoichiometric calculations with solutions.
5. Limiting Reactants & Calculating Excess Reactants
In this lesson, you'll learn about limiting and excess reactants and how to determine which reactant is the limiting one in a chemical reaction when given the amount of each reactant, and also how to calculate the amount of product produced.
6. Calculating Reaction Yield and Percentage Yield from a Limiting Reactant
Learn what the theoretical yield, actual yield and percent yield are. Given the limiting reactant, learn how to calculate the theoretical reaction yield, which is also known as the ideal reaction yield and percentage yield.
7. Calculating Percent Composition and Determining Empirical Formulas
Learn the difference between the empirical formula and chemical formula. Learn how to calculate the percent composition of an element in a compound. Learn how, if given a percent composition, to determine the empirical formula for a compound.
8. Hydrates: Determining the Chemical Formula From Empirical Data
Learn the definition of a hydrate and an anhydrate in this lesson. Discover how, when given experimental data, you can determine the formula of a hydrate by following simple steps that include finding the moles of hydrate and anhydrate and comparing the two to write the formula.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Biology (105): Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Biology: Scientific Inquiry & Research Methods
- ILTS Biology: Measurement & Observation
- ILTS Biology: Biology Lab
- ILTS Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- ILTS Biology: Biological Evolution
- ILTS Biology: Diversity of Life
- ILTS Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- ILTS Biology: Plant Cells
- ILTS Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- ILTS Biology: Plant Anatomy & Physiology
- ILTS Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- ILTS Biology: Social Behavior of Animals
- ILTS Biology: Major Human Body Systems
- ILTS Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- ILTS Biology: Reproduction & Development
- ILTS Biology: Properties of Matter
- ILTS Biology: Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids
- ILTS Biology: Atomic Structure
- ILTS Biology: The Periodic Table of Elements
- ILTS Biology: Bonding
- ILTS Biology: Acids, Bases & Chemical Reactions
- ILTS Biology: Equilibrium
- ILTS Biology: Solutions
- ILTS Biology: Gases
- ILTS Biology: Kinematics
- ILTS Biology: Newton's Laws & Motion
- ILTS Biology: Linear & Angular Momentum
- ILTS Biology: Direct Current Circuits
- ILTS Biology: Work, Energy & Power
- ILTS Biology: Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics
- ILTS Biology: Atomic, Nuclear & Quantum Physics
- ILTS Biology: Kinetics
- ILTS Biology: Magnetism
- ILTS Biology: Waves, Sound & Light
- ILTS Biology: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- ILTS Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- ILTS Biology: Minerals & Rocks
- ILTS Biology: Changing Earth's Surfaces
- ILTS Biology: Geologic Time
- ILTS Biology: The Hydrosphere
- ILTS Biology: The Solar System & the Universe
- ILTS Biology: Atmospheric Science
- ILTS Biology: Weather & Storms
- ILTS Biology: Cell Biology
- ILTS Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- ILTS Biology: Cell Communication
- ILTS Biology: Inorganic Chemistry
- ILTS Biology: Organic Compounds
- ILTS Biology: Nucleic Acids
- ILTS Biology: Enzymes
- ILTS Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- ILTS Biology: DNA Replication
- ILTS Biology: DNA Transcription & Translation
- ILTS Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Mutations
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- ILTS Science - Biology Flashcards