About This Chapter
ILTS Biology: Weather & Storms - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to review your understanding of weather and the factors that contribute to it. After watching these videos, you'll be prepared to answer ILTS Biology exam questions on the following topics:
- Differences in climate and weather
- Factors that influence wind
- Weather variables, such as temperature and air pressure
- The circulation of the atmosphere
- Weather fronts and air masses
- Causes of tornadoes and how they are measured
- Types of thunderstorms
- How hurricanes form
- Floods and their causes
- Weather maps and forecasting methods
You can study these lessons on a computer, smartphone or tablet. Each video includes a clickable timeline so you can easily locate areas you want to re-watch. Lesson quizzes, chapter exams and a comprehensive end-of-course test let you gauge what you've reviewed.
ILTS Biology: Weather & Storms Chapter Objectives
All Illinois teachers must pass the ILTS Biology exam if they want certification to teach the subject. The exam's 125 multiple-choice questions are divided into six subareas. The questions related to the material in the Weather & Storms chapter are in the exam's Earth Systems and the Universe subarea.
Following each video lesson is a short quiz with multiple-choice questions like those you'll face when you take the ILTS Biology exam. In addition to offering experience in answering questions in this format, the quizzes let you assess your knowledge. The answer key to the quizzes includes links back to the lesson, so if you answer a question incorrectly, it's easy just to pop back to review the correct answer.
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
3. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
4. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
5. Air Masses and Weather Fronts
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what an air mass is and how the movement of weather fronts leads to weather patterns you see every day.
6. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
7. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
8. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
9. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
10. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
11. Methods & Principles of Weather Forecasting
Knowing what the weather is going to be like is very helpful. But how do we know? Learn what methods and principles do meteorologists use to forecast the weather. Take a quiz to see what you know
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Biology (105): Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Biology: Scientific Inquiry & Research Methods
- ILTS Biology: Measurement & Observation
- ILTS Biology: Biology Lab
- ILTS Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- ILTS Biology: Biological Evolution
- ILTS Biology: Diversity of Life
- ILTS Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- ILTS Biology: Plant Cells
- ILTS Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- ILTS Biology: Plant Anatomy & Physiology
- ILTS Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- ILTS Biology: Social Behavior of Animals
- ILTS Biology: Major Human Body Systems
- ILTS Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- ILTS Biology: Reproduction & Development
- ILTS Biology: Properties of Matter
- ILTS Biology: Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids
- ILTS Biology: Atomic Structure
- ILTS Biology: The Periodic Table of Elements
- ILTS Biology: Bonding
- ILTS Biology: Acids, Bases & Chemical Reactions
- ILTS Biology: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- ILTS Biology: Equilibrium
- ILTS Biology: Solutions
- ILTS Biology: Gases
- ILTS Biology: Kinematics
- ILTS Biology: Newton's Laws & Motion
- ILTS Biology: Linear & Angular Momentum
- ILTS Biology: Direct Current Circuits
- ILTS Biology: Work, Energy & Power
- ILTS Biology: Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics
- ILTS Biology: Atomic, Nuclear & Quantum Physics
- ILTS Biology: Kinetics
- ILTS Biology: Magnetism
- ILTS Biology: Waves, Sound & Light
- ILTS Biology: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- ILTS Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- ILTS Biology: Minerals & Rocks
- ILTS Biology: Changing Earth's Surfaces
- ILTS Biology: Geologic Time
- ILTS Biology: The Hydrosphere
- ILTS Biology: The Solar System & the Universe
- ILTS Biology: Atmospheric Science
- ILTS Biology: Cell Biology
- ILTS Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- ILTS Biology: Cell Communication
- ILTS Biology: Inorganic Chemistry
- ILTS Biology: Organic Compounds
- ILTS Biology: Nucleic Acids
- ILTS Biology: Enzymes
- ILTS Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- ILTS Biology: DNA Replication
- ILTS Biology: DNA Transcription & Translation
- ILTS Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Mutations
- ILTS Biology: Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- ILTS Science - Biology Flashcards