About This Chapter
ILTS Business: Business Communication - Chapter Summary
In this chapter's lessons, you will examine several types of interpersonal, non-verbal and written communications in business. Techniques for effective written business communication are covered, and you will also get lessons on planning and delivering presentations. The videos cover these topics that will help with exam questions:
- Barriers to communication
- The communication process
- Effective listening in the workplace
- Choosing the correct channel of communication
- Writing letters, memos, emails, reports and proposals
- Business presentations
Experienced instructors lead these lessons, giving you the business communication skills you'll need to tackle these questions on the exam. The techniques taught simplify the process of communicating in today's business environment, and the videos make learning fun.
Objectives of the ILTS Business: Business Communication
Illinois says that anyone who wants to teach a business-related subject at the secondary school level must pass the Illinois Licensure Testing System's (ILTS) Business, Marketing and Computer Education test. The exam poses 125 multiple-choice questions in six subareas. The questions on topics included in the Business Communication chapter are in subarea V, which covers business communications and computation. The quizzes that end the video lessons will allow you to see the type of questions on the test and allow you to assess your knowledge of business communication.
1. What is Communication? - Definition & Importance
Any task or transaction that requires more than one person can only be successfully completed with communication. In this lesson, you'll learn what communication is, types of communication and the importance of communication.
2. Barriers to Effective Communication: Definition & Examples
Companies need to be aware of potential barriers to communication. In general, physical separation and differences in status differences, gender, culture and language can potentially either block or distort effective communication.
3. The Communication Process
This lesson describes the process of communication. Terms such as sender, receiver, channel, encoding, decoding, noise, and feedback will be defined and explained with examples.
4. What Is Effective Listening in the Workplace? - Definition, Techniques & Barriers
Effective listening skills allow individuals to retain information by showing interest, listening and providing feedback to the other party in the communication exchange. There are specific techniques that will help individuals overcome listening barriers.
5. How Perception Influences the Communication Process
Perception's effect on the communication process is all about how the same message can be interpreted differently by different people. Distortions, such as stereotypes, projections and halo effects, all affect worker relationships and productivity.
6. Types of Communication: Interpersonal, Non-Verbal, Written & Oral
This lesson distinguishes between the various methods of communication used by managers, including interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, written communication and oral communication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education (171): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Business: Accounting Cycle
- ILTS Business: Applied Accounting
- ILTS Business: Accounting Principles
- ILTS Business: Types of Investments
- ILTS Business: Business Partnerships
- ILTS Business: Evaluating Company Performance
- ILTS Business: Economic Basics
- ILTS Business: The US Economy
- ILTS Business: Fiscal & Monetary Policy
- ILTS Business: Economics of a Firm
- ILTS Business: Global Economics
- ILTS Business: Marketing Basics
- ILTS Business: Product Pricing & Selling
- ILTS Business: Product Development & Distribution
- ILTS Business: Product Promotion
- ILTS Business: Market Research
- ILTS Business: Selling & Customer Service
- ILTS Business: Entrepreneurship
- ILTS Business: Management
- ILTS Business: Organizational Structure
- ILTS Business: Teams in a Business Setting
- ILTS Business: Leadership
- ILTS Business: Human Resource Management
- ILTS Business: Business Ethics
- ILTS Business: Business Law
- ILTS Business: Global Business
- ILTS Business: Challenges of Globalization
- ILTS Business: Computer Basics
- ILTS Business: Information Systems & Applications
- ILTS Business: The Internet and Business
- ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education Flashcards