About This Chapter
ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education: Leadership - Chapter Summary
Managers come in all shapes and sizes, and it can be helpful to review the various leadership styles when preparing for the ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education exam. In the Leadership chapter, you'll go over topics including:
- Conflict resolution: managing conflict in organizations
- Employee morale
- Leadership orientation: task-oriented and people-oriented
- The authoritarian or autocratic leader
- The Blake Mouton managerial grid: five leadership styles
- The bureaucratic leader
- The charismatic leader
- The laissez-faire leader
- The participative or democratic leader
- The servant leader
- The situational leader
- The transactional leader
- The transformational leader
Our video instructors use everyday examples and simple, clear language to make complex topics easier to understand. They emphasize key words to help you remember the most important ideas in these lessons.
ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education: Objectives
The content-area exam in Business, Marketing, and Computer Education offered by Illinois Licensure Testing Systems (ILTS) determines whether or not you're eligible for teacher licensing in this subject. You'll earn a score of 100-300 on the test; a score of at least 240 is required for you to apply for licensing.
On the exam, you'll answer 125 multiple-choice questions. These video lessons each include a quiz, which helps you prepare in two ways:
- You can gain experience with the kinds of questions found on the ILTS exam
- You can track your progress as you go so you can see how well you're learning the material
1. Leadership Orientation: Task-Oriented & People-Oriented
As a leader, are you focused on getting the job done or on making people happy? This lesson will explain the difference between task-oriented leaders and people-oriented leaders to better help you decide.
2. The Transformational Leader
Transformational leaders are known for their innovation and influence. In this video, you'll explore the management styles and traits that contribute to their success.
3. The Transactional Leader
This lesson describes the characteristics of a transactional leader. Discover how a transactional leader depends on the concepts of actions and reactions to motivate, manage and guide employees to success.
4. The Servant Leader
If you've ever had a boss who has taken the blame for one of your errors, he or she may have been a servant leader. Find out in this lesson all the other characteristics of a servant leader.
5. The Laissez-faire Leader
This lesson describes the characteristics of the laissez-faire leader. Learn the characteristic style of this type of leader and what to expect from this leadership style.
6. The Participative or Democratic Leader
Explore the approach that a participative or democratic leader takes. In this lesson, you'll learn about the advantages and the drawbacks associated with this particular leadership style.
7. The Authoritarian or Autocratic Leader
If you've ever had to deal with a boss who's a control freak, this lesson on autocratic leaders may help you see your boss in a new light. Yes, there can be advantages when one person has complete control over decision making.
8. The Charismatic Leader
Have you ever noticed how some people seem to excel at being liked? Those people have what we call charisma. In this lesson, you'll explore how that charisma can be applied in a business management setting
9. The Situational Leader
Discover what makes the situational leader different from other types of leaders, following the contingency school of management. Learn how situational leadership is applied in the workplace.
10. The Bureaucratic Leader
You may hear people complain about the bureaucratic system and how it processes things slowly, but do you know why? This lesson describes characteristics of the bureaucratic leader. Learn how bureaucratic leadership can be used to improve businesses.
11. The Blake Mouton Managerial Grid: Five Leadership Styles
Learn about the Blake and Mouton Managerial Grid, which includes five styles of leadership: impoverished, country club, produce or perish, middle-of-the-road and team leader. We'll also explore how leadership style is determined by a manager's degree of concern for people or concern for production.
12. Conflict Resolution: Managing Conflict in Organizations
Conflict can be solved in many ways. This lesson provides an overview of the different types of conflict resolution strategies, including avoidance, accommodation, competition, compromise, and collaboration.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education (171): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Business: Accounting Cycle
- ILTS Business: Applied Accounting
- ILTS Business: Accounting Principles
- ILTS Business: Types of Investments
- ILTS Business: Business Partnerships
- ILTS Business: Evaluating Company Performance
- ILTS Business: Economic Basics
- ILTS Business: The US Economy
- ILTS Business: Fiscal & Monetary Policy
- ILTS Business: Economics of a Firm
- ILTS Business: Global Economics
- ILTS Business: Marketing Basics
- ILTS Business: Product Pricing & Selling
- ILTS Business: Product Development & Distribution
- ILTS Business: Product Promotion
- ILTS Business: Market Research
- ILTS Business: Selling & Customer Service
- ILTS Business: Entrepreneurship
- ILTS Business: Management
- ILTS Business: Organizational Structure
- ILTS Business: Teams in a Business Setting
- ILTS Business: Human Resource Management
- ILTS Business: Business Ethics
- ILTS Business: Business Law
- ILTS Business: Global Business
- ILTS Business: Challenges of Globalization
- ILTS Business: Business Communication
- ILTS Business: Computer Basics
- ILTS Business: Information Systems & Applications
- ILTS Business: The Internet and Business
- ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education Flashcards