About This Chapter
ILTS Business: Types of Investments - Chapter Summary
What are the differences between stocks and bonds? You can learn about the various types of stocks and bonds, in addition to hearing about the accounting procedures commonly used to track them. This chapter weighs equity investments against loans, and explores the positives and negatives of corporations. You can also learn and put into practice the formula for stockholder equity.
Watch each short, video lesson as many times as you want. You can also read the text transcripts in place of, or in addition to, watching the videos. By taking the quiz at the end of each lesson, you'll be able to measure how well you are learning about types of investments for the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) Business, Marketing and Computer Education exam. The following topics are included in this review:
- Types of bonds and how they're issued
- Comparison of equity investments and loans
- Equity financing for partnerships and proprietorships
- Positives and negatives of corporations
- Formula for stockholder equity
- Differences between preferred and common stock
- Stock issuance and accounting procedures for repurchases
- Examples of retained earnings
Experienced instructors thoroughly explain each of these topics and give you plenty of examples to help you get ready for the ILTS.
ILTS Business: Types of Investments Objectives
The topics in this chapter are part of the subareas of the ILTS Business, Marketing and Computer Education test that deal with accounting practices and principles, in addition to business communication and computation. These subareas constitute about 30% of the exam and address approximately seven of the 23 test objectives.
In these portions of the test, you can demonstrate an understanding of the accounting cycle used with various types of investments. You'll also be asked to examine business problems related to investments and use mathematical formulas in your analysis of the issues. The self-assessing quizzes can give you experience answering the types of multiple-choice questions you might see on the test.
1. Bonds: Types, Characteristics and Issuing Procedures
In this lesson, you will learn about some of the more common types of bonds and their characteristics. Bonds include: secured and unsecured bonds, term and serial bonds, registered and bearer bonds, and convertible and callable bonds.
2. Corporations: Types, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
Corporations are a popular form of business organization for large and small businesses. In this lesson, you'll learn about the advantages and disadvantages of a corporation. You'll also learn about S-corporations and C-corporations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education (171): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Business: Accounting Cycle
- ILTS Business: Applied Accounting
- ILTS Business: Accounting Principles
- ILTS Business: Business Partnerships
- ILTS Business: Evaluating Company Performance
- ILTS Business: Economic Basics
- ILTS Business: The US Economy
- ILTS Business: Fiscal & Monetary Policy
- ILTS Business: Economics of a Firm
- ILTS Business: Global Economics
- ILTS Business: Marketing Basics
- ILTS Business: Product Pricing & Selling
- ILTS Business: Product Development & Distribution
- ILTS Business: Product Promotion
- ILTS Business: Market Research
- ILTS Business: Selling & Customer Service
- ILTS Business: Entrepreneurship
- ILTS Business: Management
- ILTS Business: Organizational Structure
- ILTS Business: Teams in a Business Setting
- ILTS Business: Leadership
- ILTS Business: Human Resource Management
- ILTS Business: Business Ethics
- ILTS Business: Business Law
- ILTS Business: Global Business
- ILTS Business: Challenges of Globalization
- ILTS Business: Business Communication
- ILTS Business: Computer Basics
- ILTS Business: Information Systems & Applications
- ILTS Business: The Internet and Business
- ILTS Business, Marketing, and Computer Education Flashcards