About This Chapter
ILTS Science: Environmental Science - Accepted Practices of Science: Chapter Summary
Come to understand the tentative, replicable and empirical nature of science, as well as its role in history, through this chapter on accepted practices of science. We have designed this array of video lessons as a study guide for aspiring teachers who are preparing for the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) Science: Environmental Science exam. Additional topics covered by this chapter include application of the scientific method to environmental problems, U.S. environmental history and the following:
- Scientific evaluation of environmental problems
- Environmental conservation and preservation
- The scope of environmental science
- Valid vs. biased thinking in reporting scientific research
- Safety practices and regulations
ILTS Science: Environmental Science - Accepted Practices of Science Objectives
To work as an environmental science teacher in an Illinois public school, you need to earn certification, which involves passing the ILTS Science: Environmental Science content area test. This paper-based test is offered on six days each year and features 125 multiple-choice questions. The science and technology subarea of the exam is likely to include questions about accepted practices of science.
Watching the brief video lessons in this chapter is one way to prepare for the ILTS Science: Environmental Science content area test. You also can take the self-assessment quizzes associated with each video. These quizzes are modeled after the ILTS, so they can familiarize you with the test format while also helping you identify areas where you need additional study.
1. The Scientific Method Applied to Environmental Problems: Definition, Steps and Applications
In this lesson we will investigate the steps involved in the scientific method. We will also explore how the scientific method is used to solve environmental problems.
2. Scientific Evaluation of Environmental Problems: Process and Steps
This lesson will explore how the process of scientific evaluation is used to solve environmental problems. We will also investigate the steps involved in the scientific evaluation of environmental problems and how they all work together to solve an important issue.
3. U.S. Environmental History: Movements & Timeline
Have you ever heard of John Muir? Have you ever been to a National Park and wondered why it was preserved for future generations to enjoy? This lesson will discuss the major environmental movements in the United States since the 19th century, including the events that occurred, the people involved and the legislation which developed.
4. Environmental Conservation and Preservation: Definition, Differences & Advocates
This lesson will explain two views on how land can be managed and discuss famous supporters of each view. We will also explore examples of situations where the views are opposing each other and when they can be combined for the common good.
5. What is Environmental Science? - Definition and Scope of the Field
This lesson will explore the exciting and broad field of environmental science. You will learn what environmental science is and also discover what disciplines it incorporates. Also, the importance of environmental science will be explained.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Environmental Science (112): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Environmental Science: Cell Structure and Function
- ILTS Environmental Science: Principles of Heredity and Biological Evolution
- ILTS Environmental Science: Systems of the Body
- ILTS Environmental Science: Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- ILTS Environmental Science: Climate Change and Cycles
- ILTS Environmental Science: Organisms in the Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Nature and Properties of Energy
- ILTS Environmental Science: Structure and Properties of Matter
- ILTS Environmental Science: Forces and Motion
- ILTS Environmental Science: Magnetism
- ILTS Environmental Science: Waves and Electromagnetic Spectrum
- ILTS Environmental Science: Electricity Fundamentals
- ILTS Environmental Science: Land, Water, and Atmospheric Systems
- ILTS Environmental Science: The Dynamic Nature of Earth
- ILTS Environmental Science: Objects in the Universe
- ILTS Environmental Science: Origins and Changes in the Universe
- ILTS Environmental Science: Energy Flow in Natural Ecosystems
- ILTS Environmental Science: How Humans Affect the Global Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Understanding National and Global Environmental Policy
- ILTS Environmental Science: Illinois, United States and World Environmental History
- ILTS Science - Environmental Science Flashcards