About This Chapter
ILTS Environmental Science: Energy Flow in Natural Ecosystems - Chapter Summary
Through the lessons in this chapter, you will get an idea of how energy flows through biotic and abiotic components of many types of ecosystems. The sun and its effect on climate and the distribution of ecosystems are discussed, as is the hydrologic cycle and its impact on society and natural systems. You will also look at how natural occurrences such as disease epidemics and species migrations have changed the environment. This chapter prepares you to successfully answer questions on the exam by covering topics such as:
- How the laws of thermodynamics apply to habitats, individual organisms and community dynamics
- The effects of the phosphorus, sulfur, nitrogen and carbon dioxide/oxygen cycles
- Tidal energy
- Geothermal energy
- Interactions of biotic and abiotic factors in the environment
- Factors including population dynamics and human activity that influence biodiversity
The engaging video lessons are taught by expert instructors who will show you how energy flows through diverse ecosystems. With this information, you will be prepared for the exam and have fun while you learn.
Objectives of the ILTS Environmental Science: Energy Flow in Natural Ecosystems Course
Anyone who wants to teach environmental science at the secondary school level in Illinois must pass the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) environmental science content area exam. This exam contains 125 multiple-choice questions, which are divided into six subareas. Questions based on the material covered in the Energy Flow in Natural Ecosystems chapter are part of subarea V. You can become familiar with the test's format, as well as check your knowledge of the subject, by completing the self-assessment quizzes that follow each video lesson.
1. Tidal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
The tides move a massive amount of water, and the energy from this moving water, known as tidal energy, can be captured and converted into electricity. Learn how tidal energy works and the advantages and disadvantages of this energy source.
2. Geothermal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
Geothermal energy is heat energy that is stored within the earth. Learn the methods being used to tap into this thermal energy to heat buildings and generate electricity as well as the advantages and disadvantages of this renewable energy source.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Environmental Science (112): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Environmental Science: Accepted Practices of Science
- ILTS Environmental Science: Cell Structure and Function
- ILTS Environmental Science: Principles of Heredity and Biological Evolution
- ILTS Environmental Science: Systems of the Body
- ILTS Environmental Science: Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- ILTS Environmental Science: Climate Change and Cycles
- ILTS Environmental Science: Organisms in the Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Nature and Properties of Energy
- ILTS Environmental Science: Structure and Properties of Matter
- ILTS Environmental Science: Forces and Motion
- ILTS Environmental Science: Magnetism
- ILTS Environmental Science: Waves and Electromagnetic Spectrum
- ILTS Environmental Science: Electricity Fundamentals
- ILTS Environmental Science: Land, Water, and Atmospheric Systems
- ILTS Environmental Science: The Dynamic Nature of Earth
- ILTS Environmental Science: Objects in the Universe
- ILTS Environmental Science: Origins and Changes in the Universe
- ILTS Environmental Science: How Humans Affect the Global Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Understanding National and Global Environmental Policy
- ILTS Environmental Science: Illinois, United States and World Environmental History
- ILTS Science - Environmental Science Flashcards