About This Chapter
ILTS Environmental Science: Origins and Changes in the Universe - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons look at the scientific theories about the origin of the universe and the evidence that supports them. You will gain insight on the life cycles of objects in the universe and also learn about the tools, instruments and technologies that scientists utilize in their study of space. The video lessons look at the following topics which will help you prepare for the exam:
- The big bang theory and evidence to support it
- Size, color and life cycle of stars
- Neutron stars
- Supernova and supergiant star life cycles
- Tools used in the space science
With this knowledge of the universe's origins and the life cycles of the objects found in space, you will be ready for the exam. Gifted instructors make learning enjoyable, and the engaging video lessons will teach you what you need to know.
Objectives of the ILTS Environmental Science: Origins and Changes in the Universe Course
Individuals seeking Illinois certification to teach environmental science at the secondary school level must successfully complete the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) environmental science content area exam. The exam has 125 multiple-choice questions, divided into six subareas. The questions on the topics covered in the Origins and Changes in the Universe chapter are included in subarea IV of the test. The self-assessment quizzes found at the end of each video lesson will allow you to test your knowledge of the subject.
1. Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Expanding & Contracting Universes
Students will learn the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory, the timeline of the universe, how the universe is still expanding to this day, and what astronomers expect the universe to look like in the future.
2. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
3. Life Cycle of Neutron Stars
Discover the life of a neutron star, including how it's born after a supernova explosion and how its extreme pressure causes protons and electrons to combine into neutrons. Discover also how pulsars are rotating neutron stars that will eventually slow down to become regular neutron stars.
4. Supernova and Supergiant Star Life Cycle
Learn about one of the biggest explosions known to humankind - a supernova. Follow a star's life cycle and learn how a star changes from a red giant to a supernova to a black hole or neutron star.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Environmental Science (112): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Environmental Science: Accepted Practices of Science
- ILTS Environmental Science: Cell Structure and Function
- ILTS Environmental Science: Principles of Heredity and Biological Evolution
- ILTS Environmental Science: Systems of the Body
- ILTS Environmental Science: Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- ILTS Environmental Science: Climate Change and Cycles
- ILTS Environmental Science: Organisms in the Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Nature and Properties of Energy
- ILTS Environmental Science: Structure and Properties of Matter
- ILTS Environmental Science: Forces and Motion
- ILTS Environmental Science: Magnetism
- ILTS Environmental Science: Waves and Electromagnetic Spectrum
- ILTS Environmental Science: Electricity Fundamentals
- ILTS Environmental Science: Land, Water, and Atmospheric Systems
- ILTS Environmental Science: The Dynamic Nature of Earth
- ILTS Environmental Science: Objects in the Universe
- ILTS Environmental Science: Energy Flow in Natural Ecosystems
- ILTS Environmental Science: How Humans Affect the Global Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Understanding National and Global Environmental Policy
- ILTS Environmental Science: Illinois, United States and World Environmental History
- ILTS Science - Environmental Science Flashcards