About This Chapter
ILTS Environmental Science: Understanding National and Global Environmental Policy - Chapter Summary
Understanding the factors that influence development of environmental policies is the focus of the lessons in this chapter. You will get a look at how political, economic and cultural values can impact thinking on environmental issues. Other lessons examine how environmental literacy affects the ability to make informed decisions about environmental policy. Here are some topics covered by the videos that will help you prepare for these questions on the exam:
- How values influence environmental policy
- The historical basis of positions on the environment
- Citizen actions and their effect on environmental policy
- Human population growth and its impact on consumption
- How resource management methods and technology can accommodate population trends and industrial development
- Definition and types of hazardous waste and how it can affect health
These lessons are led by skilled instructors who will show you the factors that influence the development of environmental policy. You will be prepared for the questions on this section of the exam through these brief enjoyable video lessons.
Objectives of the ILTS Environmental Science: Understanding National and Global Environmental Policy Course
Illinois requires that persons who apply for certification to teach environmental science pass the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) environmental science content area exam. This exam has 125 multiple-choice questions and contains six subareas. The topics in the Understanding National and Global Environmental Policy chapter are part of subarea VI on the exam. The self-assessment quizzes that accompany each video lesson will allow you to familiarize yourself with the format of the test questions and also gauge your subject knowledge.
1. The Human Population: Factors that Affect Population Size
The human population is constantly changing. In this lesson, we will explore the factors that cause increases and decreases in the human population, including births, deaths, immigration, and emigration.
2. The History of Human Population Growth and Carrying Capacity
Most of us are used to the current size of the human population but it was not always this large. In this lesson, we will explore the history of human population growth and the future of its growth.
3. Population Size: Impacts on Resource Consumption
What are the things you need to survive? Humans all need resources, and in this lesson, we will discuss how the growth of the human population is influencing the natural resources we rely on.
4. What Is Hazardous Waste? - Definition and Types
Not all waste is something to throw in the trash and forget about. In this lesson, we will explore hazardous waste and what makes it dangerous. We will also investigate disposal methods and types of hazardous waste.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Science - Environmental Science (112): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Environmental Science: Accepted Practices of Science
- ILTS Environmental Science: Cell Structure and Function
- ILTS Environmental Science: Principles of Heredity and Biological Evolution
- ILTS Environmental Science: Systems of the Body
- ILTS Environmental Science: Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- ILTS Environmental Science: Climate Change and Cycles
- ILTS Environmental Science: Organisms in the Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Nature and Properties of Energy
- ILTS Environmental Science: Structure and Properties of Matter
- ILTS Environmental Science: Forces and Motion
- ILTS Environmental Science: Magnetism
- ILTS Environmental Science: Waves and Electromagnetic Spectrum
- ILTS Environmental Science: Electricity Fundamentals
- ILTS Environmental Science: Land, Water, and Atmospheric Systems
- ILTS Environmental Science: The Dynamic Nature of Earth
- ILTS Environmental Science: Objects in the Universe
- ILTS Environmental Science: Origins and Changes in the Universe
- ILTS Environmental Science: Energy Flow in Natural Ecosystems
- ILTS Environmental Science: How Humans Affect the Global Environment
- ILTS Environmental Science: Illinois, United States and World Environmental History
- ILTS Science - Environmental Science Flashcards