About This Chapter
ILTS Mathematics: Quadratic Relations & Functions - Chapter Summary
Gain valuable knowledge and skills regarding working with quadratic relations and functions by using this chapter. You will find lessons designed to educate you on:
- Examples and formulas of quadratic functions
- Parabolas in different forms
- Graphing ellipses in algebra
- Writing the equation of an ellipse in standard form
- The circle
- Conic sections
In this chapter are lessons that help you pick up tactics for working with different types of quadratic functions. After you are done, you will be prepared for these types of questions on the exam. If you feel a little confused about a principle or topic from a video lesson, simply use the video tags to navigate back through it. You also have access to online instructors who can answer your questions.
1. Quadratic Functions: Examples & Formula
Learn what sets quadratic functions apart from all other functions. Learn how you can spot a quadratic just by looking at its graph. Also learn the two formulas that will help you when working with them.
2. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
3. The Hyperbola: Definition, Vertices, Foci & Graphing
In this video lesson, we'll learn what a hyperbola is and how to graph one using the standard equation to find the center point, vertices and focus points.
4. Defining and Graphing Ellipses in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to find out what makes ellipses so unique. Learn what kind of shape an ellipse is, how you can create one yourself and how you can graph an ellipse by just looking at the numbers in the equation.
5. How to Write the Equation of an Ellipse in Standard Form
In algebra, we have equations that make our life so much easier. Some equations are able to tell us information without hard math. Watch this video lesson to see how the equation of an ellipse does this.
6. The Circle: Definition, Conic Sections & Distance Formula
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn what makes a circle a conic section. Also learn how to calculate the circumference of a circle. You will learn about the one important measurement that you need for any circle.
7. How to Identify a Conic Section by Its Formulas
In algebra, we have a formula for everything. Take a cone and slice it and we have a formula for the shape that results. Watch this video lesson to learn how to distinguish between these formulas.
8. Quadratics: Equations & Graphs
We will look at quadratic equations: what they are, some forms in which we might find them, how we can put them into standard form, and how their graphs look, including some features of the graphs.
9. Graphing & Solving Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
When you finish watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph and solve your own quadratic inequality. Learn what steps you need to take and what to watch for.
10. Graphing a System of Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
What is a system of quadratic inequalities? What are the steps to graphing them? Find the answers to these questions by watching this video lesson. When you finish, you will be able to graph these yourself.
11. Solving & Graphing Systems of Quadratic Equations
This lesson will define a system of quadratic equations, and it will show how to solve a system of quadratic equations graphically. We will be able to practice the graphing and solving process through a real world application.
12. Using Quadratic Functions to Model a Given Data Set or Situation
Watch this video lesson to learn how quadratic functions are used to model situations and data gathered from real world scenarios. See how our function fits our data and situation well.
13. Applying Quadratic Functions to Motion Under Gravity & Simple Optimization Problems
Quadratic functions are very useful in the real world. Watch this video lesson and learn how these functions are used to model real world events such as a falling ball.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Mathematics (208): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- ILTS Mathematics: Concepts & Skills
- ILTS Mathematics: Logic & Reasoning
- ILTS Mathematics: Using Technology for Math
- ILTS Mathematics: Number Theory
- ILTS Mathematics: Solving Number Problems
- ILTS Mathematics: Real & Complex Numbers
- ILTS Mathematics: Measurement
- ILTS Mathematics: Multidimensional Objects
- ILTS Mathematics: Variables & Patterns
- ILTS Mathematics: Linear Relations & Functions
- ILTS Mathematics: Absolute Value
- ILTS Mathematics: Polynomials
- ILTS Mathematics: Radical Functions
- ILTS Mathematics: Rational Functions
- ILTS Mathematics: Exponential Functions
- ILTS Mathematics: Logarithmic Functions
- ILTS Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- ILTS Mathematics: Calculus
- ILTS Mathematics: Points, Lines, Planes & Space
- ILTS Mathematics: 2D & 3D Shapes
- ILTS Mathematics: Spatial Visualization
- ILTS Mathematics: Congruence, Similarity & Symmetry
- ILTS Mathematics: Probability Theory & Techniques
- ILTS Mathematics: Collecting & Representing Data
- ILTS Mathematics: Using Data to Make Predictions
- ILTS Mathematics Flashcards