About This Chapter
Imagery in Story Design - Chapter Summary
Assign this chapter to your design employees to help them review the applications of imagery in story design. These short lessons show your designers how to manipulate images and use them in visual communication. They'll also examine the characteristics of several visual image types, such as:
- Symbolic images
- Iconic images
- Indexical images
Your employees can access these lessons at will using any computer or mobile device. The chapter also comes with short quizzes that reinforce essential imagery terms and concepts.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter's lessons help employees become more aware of different types of images that are used in visual storytelling.
- Explores image characteristics and applications: Your employees will study the components of several visual communication image types.
- Improves logo design skills: Employees who complete the chapter will be able to explain how logos are developed and designed.
By the end of the chapter, your company's designers should be able to:
- Convey meaning by manipulating images
- Compare types of visual communication images
- Discuss the applications of symbolic, iconic indexical and logo images in visual storytelling
- Outline the design and development of logos
1. Manipulating Images to Convey Meaning
In this lesson you will learn how visual images are manipulated and selected for advertising campaigns. The lesson will include images such as symbols and shapes and also discuss the use of color, perspective, style, and content.
2. Visual Communication: Types of Images & Uses
Read this lesson to learn how you can use a variety of images to communicate certain thoughts to your viewers. See how important it is to use the right connections in order to get the right message across.
3. Symbolic Images in Visual Storytelling
In this lesson, you'll learn how you can use symbolic images in your visual storytelling to send specific messages. Also learn how these messages can change with culture.
4. Iconic Images in Visual Storytelling
This lesson will define iconic images and iconography. You'll learn about a few such iconic images and how they arise. We'll also go over why they're used in storytelling.
5. What is a Logo? - Design & Development
Businesses need to come up with a sort of sign to be identifiable in a market. This sign or logo is what we will discuss today. We will go over the design and development of a logo.
6. Logo Imagery in Visual Storytelling
In this lesson, we examine the relationships between logos and stories with numerous well-known examples. We further define how logos can be, and are, iconic.
7. Indexical Images in Visual Storytelling
In this lesson, you'll learn about indexical images and how you can use them to evoke emotions from your audience without having to say things too literally.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.