About This Chapter
Immune Disorders & infections - Chapter Summary
A strong immune system plays one of the major parts in our optimal health. What happens when this system is weakened or when the body becomes infected? In this chapter, you can learn about various autoimmune diseases and immune deficiencies that compromise health. Refer to short lessons that contain self-assessment quizzes so you can ensure you understand each topic fully before moving on to the next. This chapter can help you:
- Get an overview of the immune system
- Define adaptive immunity
- Learn details about how to control and prevent diseases
- Describe pathogens and the diseases they lead to
- List the causes and treatments for allergies and asthma
- Acquire information about antibiotics, antibiotic resistance and vaccines
- Learn examples of autoimmune and immune deficiency diseases
- Discuss sexually transmitted infections, how to treat them and ways to reduce the risks of infection
1. What Is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens
In this lesson, you will be introduced to the immune system. You'll learn about the innate and adaptive immune system, Edward Jenner, haptens and immune tolerance.
2. What Is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types
This lesson will help you distinguish between several different types of immunity. This includes passive immunity, active immunity, naturally acquired immunity and artificially acquired immunity.
3. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
4. Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types & Causes
There are many different types of pathogens and many problems they cause. This lesson will teach you about four main types of pathogens, examples of each, and what problems they cause.
5. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Do you know why children must get regularly vaccinated? Have you ever wondered how an antibiotic works and why they are so widely prescribed? If so, this lesson will help you to understand how changes in medicine have almost eliminated several deadly diseases and added decades to the average person's lifespan.
6. Pathogens: Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence
Find out more about how the overuse of antibiotics could lead to some serious problems with epidemics or untreatable diseases in the future. You can also discover some of the things that make pathogens harmful and why pathogens don't cause disease in every species they infect.
7. Allergies and Asthma: Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson explores the meaning of allergies and asthma and how they may interact with one another at the same time. You'll learn about allergic rhinitis, intrinsic asthma and extrinsic asthma as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatment options of each.
8. Autoimmune Diseases: Definitions & Types
What is an autoimmune disease? Why does it occur? What are some examples of autoimmune diseases? This lesson will describe myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and much more.
9. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
10. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
11. Reducing Your Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections
This lesson will describe for you the many ways by which you can help prevent a terrible STD from affecting your body, including abstinence, mutual monogamy, and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101