About This Chapter
Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter's lessons will teach you about the various pathogens that can make us sick and how our body's immune system fights back. Topics covered include adaptive immunity, viruses, allergies and autoimmune diseases. Other lessons cover health behaviors and health promotion. By the end of this chapter, you should have a solid understanding of:
- The immune system
- Viruses - how they were discovered and their structure
- Methods of disease prevention and control
- Extrinsic and intrinsic asthma
- Sexually transmitted infections and how to prevent them
- Health behavior and health promotion
|What is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens||This lesson teaches you what the immune system is and how it works.|
|What is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types||Find out about various types of adaptive immunity and how they work.|
|What are Viruses? - Definition, Structure and Function||In this lesson, we'll look at viruses and examine their components.|
|Disease Control and Prevention||Learn how to prevent and control the spread of disease through methods like sanitation and vaccination.|
|The Differences Between Infection and Disease||In this lesson, we'll distinguish between infection and disease.|
|The Spread of Disease: Endemic, Epidemic and Pandemic||This lesson defines endemic, epidemic and pandemic disease models and provides a comparison.|
|Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types and Causes||This lesson describes the most common pathogens affecting humans and the diseases they cause.|
|Antibiotics and Vaccines||In this lesson, we'll examine how antibiotics work against pathogens and how vaccines prevent disease.|
|Pathogens: Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence||Explore how pathogens develop a resistance to antibiotics and the consequences of resistance.|
|Allergies and Asthma: Causes Symptoms and Treatments||Learn the causes, symptoms and treatment options for allergies and asthma.|
|Autoimmune Diseases: Definitions and Types||Learn the definition of autoimmune disease and identify some common types, including type 1 diabetes, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and vasculitis.|
|Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions and Types||This lesson covers immune deficiency disease and discusses some types, including human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immune deficiency syndrome.|
|Sexually Transmitted Infections||In this lesson, you'll learn about the types of sexually transmitted infections, how they are spread and treatment options.|
|Reducing Your Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections||Understand methods of preventing these infections.|
|Health Behaviors and Promotion||Learn how to define and distinguish between health behavior and disease prevention.|
1. What Is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens
In this lesson, you will be introduced to the immune system. You'll learn about the innate and adaptive immune system, Edward Jenner, haptens and immune tolerance.
2. What Is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types
This lesson will help you distinguish between several different types of immunity. This includes passive immunity, active immunity, naturally acquired immunity and artificially acquired immunity.
3. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
4. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
5. The Differences Between Infection and Disease
This lesson will go over the differences between an infection and a disease. We'll cover everything from prions and infectivity to opportunistic infections and idiopathic disease. We'll also learn what the etiology of disease is and much more.
6. The Spread of Disease: Endemic, Epidemic & Pandemic
This lesson will talk about what an endemic disease is and how it is different from an epidemic. We'll also discuss how an epidemic differs from something known as a pandemic. Finally, we'll look at some examples of each to help solidify these points.
7. Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types & Causes
There are many different types of pathogens and many problems they cause. This lesson will teach you about four main types of pathogens, examples of each, and what problems they cause.
8. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Do you know why children must get regularly vaccinated? Have you ever wondered how an antibiotic works and why they are so widely prescribed? If so, this lesson will help you to understand how changes in medicine have almost eliminated several deadly diseases and added decades to the average person's lifespan.
9. Pathogens: Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence
Find out more about how the overuse of antibiotics could lead to some serious problems with epidemics or untreatable diseases in the future. You can also discover some of the things that make pathogens harmful and why pathogens don't cause disease in every species they infect.
10. Allergies and Asthma: Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson explores the meaning of allergies and asthma and how they may interact with one another at the same time. You'll learn about allergic rhinitis, intrinsic asthma and extrinsic asthma as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatment options of each.
11. Autoimmune Diseases: Definitions & Types
What is an autoimmune disease? Why does it occur? What are some examples of autoimmune diseases? This lesson will describe myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and much more.
12. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
13. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
14. Reducing Your Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections
This lesson will describe for you the many ways by which you can help prevent a terrible STD from affecting your body, including abstinence, mutual monogamy, and more!
15. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards