About This Chapter
Immunity & the Immune System - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can assist your comprehension in understanding immunity and the immune system by exploring concepts such as herd immunity, immunotherapy and adaptive immunity. You can examine diseases of the immune system and learn what causes allergies. Your instructors will touch on objectives that will enable you to do the following:
- Identify the types of adaptive immunity
- Explain how vaccination relates to immunity
- Recall what herd immunity is
- Learn about the different types of autoimmune diseases
- Review what type I hypersensitivity is
- Distinguish the differences between monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies
The lessons are accompanied by self-assessment quizzes so you can gauge your understanding and retention level of each lesson. When you are ready, take the chapter test, which covers information found in all the lessons. Video lessons include a Timeline with links that let you jump back to specific spots in the video, allowing you to review those topics without having to re-watch the entire lesson.
1. What Is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types
This lesson will help you distinguish between several different types of immunity. This includes passive immunity, active immunity, naturally acquired immunity and artificially acquired immunity.
2. Vaccination and Immunotherapy
This lesson will discuss the basics of how diseases can be prevented or treated using our own immune system's components. We'll talk about vaccination and immunotherapy as well as some specific examples, such as the BCG vaccine, monoclonal antibodies, and more.
3. Herd Immunity: Definition & Threshold
You may have heard about 'herd immunity' in the news recently, but not known exactly what it is. In this lesson you will learn about immunity, herd immunity, and thresholds for herd immunity.
4. Autoimmune Diseases: Definitions & Types
What is an autoimmune disease? Why does it occur? What are some examples of autoimmune diseases? This lesson will describe myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and much more.
5. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
6. Type I Hypersensitivity: Allergic Reactions
This lesson delves into something known as type I hypersensitivity reactions. You'll find out how everything from mast cells, basophils, and IgE to histamine, bee stings, and peanut allergies all play a role in this process.
7. Monoclonal vs. Polyclonal Antibodies: Definition & Production
In this lesson, you'll discover what monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies are. In addition, you'll learn how they're made, their uses, and some of the differences between them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- Cell Size, Structure & Function
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Cell Growth & Differentiation
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things
- Understanding Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Understanding Enzymes
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- DNA Manipulation
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards